Burma teak garden bench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been sanding down a garden bench which is badly weathered, green bits (mould?) and which was painted with a dark stain, now flaking. I have uncovered (under the stain) a plate advising the wood is burma teak.
If the bench was mine I would rub down to remove as much stain as possible and treat with teak oil, however, it is a part of gardening work I am doing and to spend a lot of time on it would be to expensive for my client (OAP).
Advice I would appreciate is that If I take the worst of the stain off but not all (ie that which has soaked in) and then treat a test area with teak oil to see how it looks, if not okay, would a stain take on top of the area treated with teak oil and if not, how best to remove/neutralize the teak oil.
Also, if it is okay with teak oil, how often does it need to be re-treated with teak oil to maintain a neat finish.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a powered sander? Screwfix are doing one for £3.99, and would make light work of a bench..

Hi Deluks

I am using a Bosch orbital sander and course elctro coated resign bonded sand paper, also a lot of hand rubbing. Flat bits are fine but but there are a lot of places the sander is to big eg. edges of the slats on the back, also where the slats join; same for seating slats. Also the seating slats are not set dead flat but on a curve.

thanks for interest.

Stanrog

Teak is naturally oily, so other stains and paints will not adhere well.

Is the old chap not capable of doing a bit of rubbing down on his own?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply JohnD. The bench owner is a female OAP and she does not have the strength to do any sanding.
Regretfully, it does seem that I am going to have to stain it.

regards
Stanrog

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back