work top rot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a 3/4 by 3/4 inch 'cavity' in my kitchen work top. It has been caused by the design of the tap which has lead to drops hitting one spot of the work top right by where the tap is. Unfortunately it was spotted too late and the wood has now rotted to cause a 'dent' in the work top of rotten wood. The dent is getting bigger but has not yet turned into a hole.

What can I do other than replace the work top. It would be hard to cut a section of the work top out and replace, if not impossible? Can I stop further rot and fill the cavity? What can I use to do both these things.
Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

Sean

Sponsored Links
iff its chipboard laminate then its shot
iff its real wood in staves you can router out the dammaged area and fit in an offcut but the area needs to be thoroughly dry and this can take weeks otherwise you will get cracks as the wood shrinks further

thanks...not sure i have a weeks worth of plates and things to pile up while i wait for wood to dry. maybe the mice will clean the plates but thats for another topic elswhere.

is there nothing i can use to fill the cavity? it is wood not laminate.

you need to oil the worktop regularly at least 12 times a year i am assuming your applications off oil have been an anual event event iff you remember ;)

you need to cut out the rot and replace i realy dont think any filler would take oil and look ok :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I really can't make it out from your blurry picture.

Stand back and try again.

Include the sink as well as the worktop in one of your pics.

There might be scope for doing something else.

a tap set into the wooden deck? bound to cause problems.

You might consider putting a brass plate under it to catch future drips and cover the rot.

Thank you. Thats an idea! Where would i get such a brass plate, it would have to have hole/ holes to fit the water pipes.

You need to get a proper worktop, I'm sorry, wooden ones are rubbish. Granite is best. IMHO.

there are people selling polished brass plate on Fleabay. they mostly do finger-plates or kickplates for doors, but some of them will cut to any size you want.

You could ask about drilling a hole for the tap, I would probably have drilled it myself, brass is quite easy to work.

I'd use silicone sealant to prevent water getting under the edges.

thank you JohnD, I am on it already. There is a metal sheet fabrication place near me so i am going to go pay them a visit and take the tap to them for accurate drilling of hole. Really, thanks, its saves cutting out the wood and all the hassle of replacement etc with every chance the problem would come back.

Sean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back