Remedial work and rot treatment on wooden window frames.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My exterior wooden windows clearly have some rot - spongy around the stone sills. The paint is also cracking and flaking.

I know rot is a mould which spreads through the wood but what I don't know is if protecting the wood will prevent further deterioration. If I repaint the wood to prevent more dampness getting in will it prevent further decay, or do I actually need to kill the fungus first? I get the impression rot spores are basically everywhere so I don't understand if I need to remove the rot, or just make conditions unsustainable for it to spread?

Basically: I potentially have a carpenter lined up to fix/replace the frames but he's semi-retired so the timeframe is vague and there are quite a few windows to repair. I'm wondering if getting a painter to clean up lose paint and repaint is throwing money away, or will keep things in check so the carpenter can work his way round them.

Sponsored Links
Damp rot is best cutout and replaced, so wait till you have them replaced.

Feels hard to leave it deteriorating but I guess it's just wood... Does it spread particularly fast?

Sponsored Links
Took 10 years for my fence posts to rot at the bases so not a particularly speedy process..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back