Working abroad as a plumber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone managed to get a job and work abroad as a plumber in the E.U? Guessing it is harder now after Brexit. Other then that I think New Zealand/ Australia are after people

Sponsored Links
All depends on which country you want to go to, Aus and NZ are unlikely to accept any UK qualies, some countries will but many will ask you to re qualify to their standards, I am not a plumber, I am a Gas engineer and have worked in many countries and this comes up all the time , and rightfully so I suppose

Where have you worked please?
For me it was different because I worked for an International company and was sent to many countries, not as good as it sounds, where do you want to move to /

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I would really like to try a stint in Germany
In germany you will need a TUV certificate (Technischer Überwachungsverein) which means technical inspection association) a bit like we used to have the British Kite mark, that then went to CE, you would have to sit a short trade test to get TUV accredited, but nothing difficult about it, the language barrier wouldnt be a problem there as most speak better English than the Welsh do

Haha yes I notice on holiday they mainly speak better English then us

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Have you worked there I guess?
yes but as I say I am not a plumber, I had to do a trade test , I was working on a commerciall project and it was a simple weld test, in and out in a few hours, depending where you are working can be nice, to be honest never really seen much of the country as was working 7 x 12 hour shifts , was there for the money, but what I did see had a great time , not sure if I would want to live there, but each to their own

All depends on which country you want to go to, Aus and NZ are unlikely to accept any UK qualies
Someone I used to work with was going to Aus, but his wife decided against it in the 11th hour. I think they were taking him on his U.K. plumbing quals, but unsure if it’s changed (it was many years ago).

Last edited:
I got jnto Australia with my plumbing and Gas qualifications

I was able to work but eventually would have had to take Australian training snd qualification. Funny that the gas side wasn't so stricked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back