Work abroad? Check your pension

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Brexers, please do not read to the end.

"State pension rule changes 2022

From the start of next year, the way pensions are calculated will change so that UK citizens won’t be able to count time working abroad in certain countries as qualifying years.

This will affect UK citizens who are living in:

• Australia (before 1 March 2001)
  • Canada
  • New Zealand

As it stands, people can claim National Insurance credits when they spend time working in these countries. These credits count towards your pension.

But from January 1, 2022, people can no longer claim these credits. This means that anyone who spends time abroad, even for a year, could end up without the full qualifying years needed to claim a full rate state pension.

This is one of the consequences of Brexit."

Find out more: State pension increase 2022"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/money-mentor/article/state-pension-amount/

Sponsored Links
£211.80 a week for me and cannot be improved. You only need 35 years to get the full state pension so those full time students who don’t start work until they are into their thirties may juuuust scrape in.

Sponsored Links
Just how did Brexit cause these pension changes?

"This is because the UK has left the EU."

says the UK goverment.

"The rules on how the UK State Pension is calculated are changing if you move to live in, or move between, an EU or EEA country or Switzerland and you have previously lived in:
  • Australia, before 1 March 2001
  • Canada
  • New Zealand"
have a look.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/state-pension-if-youve-lived-in-australia-canada-or-new-zealand

do you suppose it's because the UK decided to resign from the benefits of EU membership, including the international treaties it had negotiated?

£211.80 a week for me and cannot be improved. You only need 35 years to get the full state pension so those full time students who don’t start work until they are into their thirties may juuuust scrape in.

£219.01 week which comes out as £11,427.63 a year for me.
I assume with yearly increases it will turn out a little more but don't think I will get the 'suspended' 8% pensioners were due to get this year.

Back