Working live

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
noticed electricians working with live wires how comes they dont get a shock - anything to do with insulated tools

Sponsored Links
What sort of electrician was that then? Most DNO electricians are trained, and have the proper protective equipment, to work with live supply cables. Otherwise they would have to turn off a whole street to make a small change in one house.

Electricians who work on the installation side are trained to work on un-energised circuits. I would prefer to see my daughter grow up so I turn off (and check) before doing any work. Most sensible sparks do.

Remember:
There are old electricians,
There are bold electricians
BUT
There are no old, bold electricians.

theyre rewiring houses on site and there was a problem with a switch - electrician just removed old switch and cut the phase wire back (which sparked but also never tripped the circuit - he said it needed to be tested again)

so i wondered how he never got a shock?

I have seen people using big angle grinders without goggles and they can still see.

Sponsored Links
df970626.jpg

As a Fitter for a DNO, we were trained to work live on open 415 LV distribution boards with 500Kva transformers feeding them, initially with bare hands, stood on the trusty rubber mat, But as the good old health and safety department has emerged, we now have rubber gloves, all insulated boards and insulated tools too. and live work is only allowed when there is a real excuse for not making dead. Have to say there were never any accidents involved with the live work either. The overhead line chaps are trained to work live on 11kv O/H lines stood in an insulated cherry picker................and dont forget the chaps on the transmission in their faraday cages, lowered onto a live 275kv line by helicopter.......they're welcome to that sort of live work :eek:

Possibly apocryphal signs in labs where there be lasers:

• Never look into the laser with your one remaining good eye.
  • CO2 laser beams are invisible. Do not place any part of your body in the path of the invisible laser beam. If you do this, the pain and the smell of burning flesh will let you know that it has happened.

A notice in the lab where I used to work said:

"Afraid of the dark?
Then wear your goggles!"

Still remember it 30-odd years later.

Most sensible electricians turn off the power before working whereever it is reasonable to do so (most electricians who do anything more than domestic will have probablly had to do some live work at some point in thier career though). Generally they will even test for dead before proceeding

BUT

They also know that alone isn't enough, the test equipment may have given a bad indication or someone may turn something back on while they are working or someone may have borrowed a neural or similar. So the sensible ones treat stuff like it is live even when they are pretty damn sure it is dead.

What sort of electrician was that then? Most DNO electricians are trained, and have the proper protective equipment, to work with live supply cables. Otherwise they would have to turn off a whole street to make a small change in one house.

Electricians who work on the installation side are trained to work on un-energised circuits. I would prefer to see my daughter grow up so I turn off (and check) before doing any work. Most sensible sparks do.

Remember:
There are old electricians,
There are bold electricians
BUT
There are no old, bold electricians.

Weeellll..actually I am an old and bold electrician...And I just looked and I am still alive... dont worry about the shocks...Where there is no sense there is no feeling
Gotta admit though I do get some crazy kind of "kick" (not 230V) when working live...it can be a strange kinda fun
Dont take my advice whatsoever
ZZZZZAPPPPPP!!!!!!

and dont forget the chaps on the transmission in their faraday cages, lowered onto a live 275kv line by helicopter.......they're welcome to that sort of live work :eek:
And don't forget your basic physics.

The risks there are the helicopter and working at height ones, not electrical...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back