Dimmer switch live! :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to switch off the dining room light at the brass dimmer switch last night and noticed a slight tingling in my fingers. I went and got my electrician's screwdriver and found that when the light is on the switch is live. The wiring look ok inside (i'm no expert but I'd assume it was as it's just recently been replaced by a spark). The earth wire is live when the light is on.

I'm assuming this isn't right? What should I do?

Sponsored Links
That could be problematic as he's away at the moment. Will get my neighbour in to take a look. The folks who did the work in my house have been nothing but trouble. :(

Sponsored Links
The earth wire is live when the light is on.

I'm assuming this isn't right? What should I do?

It sounds like the earth wire is not connected to earth, somewhere.

Plus also re your
electrician's screwdriver
It is not an electrician's screwdriver. Electricians do not rely on these works of the devil.

Why? It is because you cannot believe anything that those neon screwdriver things tell you. They lie to you and are not to be trusted.

Here's the best place for it:

Per the above. Do get someone whu knows what they are doing, with proper test equipment to check it out.

It tests for VOLTAGE, not current.

IMO, as a non-electrician, while neon screwdrivers are obviously pretty rubbish, they're still better than having no testing gear at all.

Ah ok that makes sense. I basically have it so that I can double check the power's off on things before I touch it.

You shouldn't rely on them for that - they can all too easily not light up!

You can buy a multimeter for about £4 these days. :)

Fair enough I didn't know that. I will investigate. Anyone got a guide on how to use one?

A little knowledge is more dangerous than having no knowledge.

There are lots of ways of killing yourself with mains voltage unless you know what you are doing.

I repeat my advice from above
get someone who knows what they are doing, with proper test equipment to check it out

I'm not talking about my problem above. I'm going to get an expert in. I was discussing the best way to double check the power is off before doing something like replacing a light fitting or switch myself.

images

There will be instructions included.

I'm not talking about my problem above. I'm going to get an expert in. I was discussing the best way to double check the power is off before doing something like replacing a light fitting or switch myself.

There is a guide to safe isolation at the top of this forum
see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553

Safe isolation only works properly if you know about the testing device and how to interpret the results.

IMO, as a non-electrician, while neon screwdrivers are obviously pretty rubbish, they're still better than having no testing gear at all.
Actually they are not.

It's a bit like the concept that if you're trying to navigate to somewhere, the only thing worse than not having a map is having a map which is wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back