Change Light Switch For Dimmer Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 2 lights in my living room 1 at each end of the room and 2 light switches both turn on and off by by the same switch can I change 1 switch for a dimmer switch to control both lights and how to wire it correctly switch 2 is earthed at the back plate switch 1 is not earthed at the back plate the dimmer I want to install is a chrome plated dimmer switch thanks for any help on this

Sponsored Links
If you have no earth you cannot fit metallic switch plates
If I understand the OP correctly, one of the switches ('Switch 2') has an earthed back box. If that is true, presumably a metal plate dimmer could be installed in that one (although, ideally, one would first confirm that the 'earth' really was an earth)?

Kind Regards, John

SWITCH 1 HAS 4 EARTH CABLES CONNECTED TO A CABLE TERMINAL CAN I RUN A EARTH CABLE FROM THAT TO THE EARTH CONNECTOR IN THE BACK BOX THEN RUN A EARTH FROM THE BACK PLATE TO THE EARTH ON THE BACK OF THE DIMMER SWITCH MANY THANKS

Sponsored Links
SWITCH 1 HAS 4 EARTH CABLES CONNECTED TO A CABLE TERMINAL CAN I RUN A EARTH CABLE FROM THAT TO THE EARTH CONNECTOR IN THE BACK BOX THEN RUN A EARTH FROM THE BACK PLATE TO THE EARTH ON THE BACK OF THE DIMMER SWITCH MANY THANKS

Yes, but you will need to confirm continuity back to the supply earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back