Double Switch for Double Dimmer +

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My living room light has one switch at one end of the room and a double switch at the other end of the room (the second switch here operates the dining room light).

I want to change the double switch for a double dimmer. I have removed the double switch but when connected to the double dimmer strange things happen.

I have:
1xblue wire
1xyelow wire
3xred wires
1xearth wire
and then one little red wire that previously went from com on one switch to L2 on the other.

Can anyone help???

Sponsored Links
I have:
1xblue wire
1xyelow wire
3xred wires
1xearth wire
and then one little red wire that previously went from com on one switch to L2 on the other.

Right. blue, yellow and red should belong to one cable that should go to the other switch of two way. The other two reds should belong to another cable, or MAY be seperate. Ignore the link piece for now.

Check with a MM. At the one gang switch, the conductors should be wired as follows: red - common and

yellow - L1 and blue - L2 (or vice-versa)

in the two gang dimmer, the lounge side should be red in common again, blue and one of the remaining reds in L1 and blue and last remaining red in L2. The link should be placed between the live on the lounge side of the dimmer and common on dining side of dimmer. You will need a MM to check which of your reds in L1 or L2 this is, otherwise your dining light will only come on when the lounge light is on.

Let me know how you get on.

:idea: MM being multi meter. if you havent got one ('spose not) then get one, without, its like saying "stick this turnip onto this carrot and hit that nail, i have no hammer"

without the right tools for the job how do you expect to do the job?

Breezer

Are you in the habit of affixing one root vegetable to another with steel fixings intended for (amongst others) joinery work?

I'd peel them and make a soup instead....

Sponsored Links
i never said afix the root vegetables with a steel fixing (try a RAW plug)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back