Workshop electric problems!

Sponsored Links
One problem you may have is if something in the workshop causes a fault, the RCD in the house is likely to trip, rather than the workshop one.

The 16 mm cable could be prone to damage. SWA cable is a much better cable to use, because you could fit the RCD in the garage, and not need an RCD protecting the SWA.

thanks Sparkwright, I think the cost saving of the free cable warped his mind! Its the cable I think they use in the street. It is under a concrete driveway all the way to workshop, but not ideal.

Are you suggesting moving feed to non rcd side of house CU?

Sponsored Links
the sockets in the workshop are on a ring circuit 2.5mm cable

A ring circuit typically has a 32 amp mcb and wired in 2.5 mm or greater.

A radial circuit in 2.5 mm will be on a 20 amp mcb, or a 16 amp would do.

If you are certain the sockets are a ring circuit, 32 amp is expected.

Check it is a ring.

Perhaps there has been a mix up with the sockets and compressor.

You may like to consider getting an electrician in to check all work and do a full test on the entire workshop for safety's sake.

I don't really consider this job to be a DIY job.

Sorry Sparkwright I don't think I explained myself well!

Its a ring circuit in the workshop, 2.5mm its currently on a 16amp as he bought a Mk garage unit and this was the highest. With the intention of swapping to a 32 amp asap. As you 've suggested the air compressor will run of the 16amp so we can swap this around. Hope this makes sense.

Any ideas on the best set up in the house CU?

I'm concerned what this 'street' cable is feeding the garage. You say it's not SWA. Is it ordinary twin and earth (grey or white?)? Is it concentric cable?

The cable is black, very thick tough casing approx 16mm in diameter. He returned the earth via this cable to house cu as well as using an earth rod next to workshop. I can get the info printed on the side of the cable if this helps?

just rang him, info on side of cable says,

electric cable 600/1000 v BS7870 - 3.21 general cable and energy 1 x 16 cu 2008

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back