Workshop Electrics with DIY CNC- cable/MCB sizes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a detached log cabin at the end of the garden to become a DIY workshop, with main tool being a DIY CNC, along with most tyical power tools you can think off (circ. saw, mitre saw, planar etc). I want to future proof it for when I can afford other higher amperage tools like a table saw, extraction, thicknesser etc.

I'm intending to buy and partially fit most sockets and cabling, then let a qualified electrician complete all the connections and certify it.

House CU to workshop is ~30 meters. Going to get a 50 meter, 3-core 10 mm^2 SWA PVC cable to run this distance underground (voltage drop should be within tolerance).
Should cat5e cable also be SWA PVC if ran in the trench? I know you can get the two combined, but it's so expensive.
Do these cables need to be in any truncing underground? I know I need to put warning tape above it before filling back the trench.
What size MCB do I connect it to on my house's CU? Does it also need to be on a RCD?
Does the workshop CU need to have an RCD? Both, workshop only or house only?
Workshop should be metal clad CU? Can I earth it to the house or is 30-40 meter 10 mm^2 too long of a run? Alternative is eath bar?
I'm thinking of having 4 MCB:
One for just the CNC. Size MCB?
One for sockets. Size MCB? (maybe 10 2-gang sockets). or should I give some sockets to the CNC's MCB (it's power draw shouldn't be that high tbh)?
One for lighting. 8 LED panels. 2 outdoor wall mounted lights. 2 outdoor security/motion lights.
One MCB/space as spare.

Radial or ring? (radial seems more logical, as I won't have sockets on all 4 walls).
What size and what type cables should I run in to the sockets and to the lighting, is it 3 Core and Earth PVC H6243Y Cable?
1.5 mm for lights?
2.5 mm for sockets that will run power tools?
2.5 mm to the CNC?

One 2-gang outdoor socket will be on the external wall, should this have a seporate in-line fuse/spur?

Edit: I've already met and have a registered electrician to do the final connection and anything I'm unsure of.

Kind Regards!

Sponsored Links
Find a spark first who will work with you and ask them.

If you rang me up to connect your work I would politely decline the work, as will most sparks

Sponsored Links
I'll not be working on anything powered. Just sourcing materials and placing metal clad sockets and trunking in it's place, for the elctrican to do the connections.

Hum. Don’t even do that is my advice

Hum. Don’t even do that is my advice
I think that you said you have met a willing electrician. You need to ask him/her all of these questions, and gave them determine outlet placing and cable routing. Specifying the feed cable needs careful thought, or you will run into problems through either volt drop or start up surge tripping.
That’s your electrician who does that too, not drug-addled retired plumbers who think they know electrical solutions on an Internet forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back