workshop/shed power

You do realise, from a legal concept that whole para is qualified by:

I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

Define 'reasonable' ;)

Just being pedantic :)
Since you have raised the issue of legality, I would say that "reasonable" is what a court would decide it was. And that that would be linked to whether the person making the declaration had reasonable grounds for believing that he had complied with BS 7671.

Sponsored Links
I would like to do most off the work run the cables dig trench etc then sparky can check all the above work test and then connect it all up like I did for my brothers gym
Fair enough.

You should be able to find one quite happy for you to dig the trench (few electricians are wannabe navvies), and possibly do other bits of labouring, but you must get him on board first, and everything you do must be under his supervision and direction. In other words the job must be his from start to finish with him using you as his labourer. It will also save you a few £00 in LABC fees.
I suggest you find your sparky right now, have him do the brain work (ie the things you don't know about). Have him agree what you can do yourself and then he can oversee your bit, do his bit and sign it off.
As has been said, I think that by far the best approach would be for you to involve an 'self-certifying' electrician soon, and discuss with him/her what parts of the work you can do (whenever), and what degree of involvement and 'supervision' on the part of the electrician will be necessary in order for the electrician to be able to 'sign off' and notify the work.

I would also like to buy the bits I nee my self as I work for MK I get a gd discount
Fair enough - then as well as finding an electrician who will agree to let you do some of the work you need to find one who will let you supply the materials.

So the wylex with the rcd and use mcb type b cu for the shed
That is a decision which only the electrician signing it off may make.

Am trying to get as much info as poss thank u so much for all your help and info
This is the single most important bit of info:

You cannot do the design and installation work yourself and then get an electrician in and present it to him and ask him to declare that he did it. It doesn't work like that.

You do realise, from a legal concept that whole para is qualified by:
I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:
Define 'reasonable' ;)
Quite so - clearly a very debatable and subjective question. It does, of course, also reflect the legislation, since Part P of the Building Regs (which is essentially just one sentence) starts "Reasonable provision shall be made ... " - the meaning of which is equally debatable/subjective. I'm sure that we all have our own view as to what would, and would not, be "reasonable", as also would a court (probably on the basis of 'expert' ádvice), but whether any two of those views would be exactly the same (except at the extremes) is a different matter.

Kind Regards, John

That's all true, but not of relevance to why I quoted the declaration, which is that an electrician cannot make it if he didn't do the work.

Sponsored Links
Handful of points;

Hi he quoted me £750 for doing the job ...

1. I paid £900 last year including them digging the trench so £750 doesn't seem unreasonable
2. Nice to see b-a-s' experience being put to productive use :)
3. Despite #2, I suspect that the OP fully intends to do all of this himself and that there is no electrician involved, or if there was, the £750 quote has ended his involvement

3. Despite #2, I suspect that the OP fully intends to do all of this himself and that there is no electrician involved, or if there was, the £750 quote has ended his involvement[/quote]

There is s sparky doing the work I could did it myself but am not part p so am doing all the leg work

As to using dyslexic software I used Dragon Naturally Speaking but it does make errors and you have to train the software to your voice.

As to the job as with most jobs we all likely cut corners but when telling the tail we leave out that bit.

So at the house either cable permitted without RCD protection or RCD at origin. As to problem with RCD at origin some times it can be handy as well.

I think cable routes have already been talked about but the load from a compressor or welder is always a problem and I have not seen any info as to what welder or what compressor is to be use?

Welding transformers really do cause some problems but a welding inverter can run happy from a 13A supply. The compressor uses a motor and again it's down to exactly what you have. As an example most fridges as freezers have compressors and a unit drawing 82 Watts run can draw 2259 Watts on start up. But similar sized unit can draw just 53 Watts it's all down to the motor control.

It is the same with any compressor using de-loading valves can reduce the load and also the whole way in which it operates. The large ones often have a two stage thing leaving the motor running but de-loaded for short breaks in demand but switching motor off for larger breaks.

Using an inverter with a compressor is not easy. But some do use inverters and even in some cases change motor speed to suit demand rather than simple on/off.

Your electrician is able to see exactly what you have and advise accordingly. So with inverter drives you could get away with a 20 amp supply but with an old Oxford you may still have problems with a 63 amp supply.

You say MIG so likely DC and likely you have an inverter type welder. But pointless guessing lets have what it says on the plates and then some real advice can be given.

Compresser is 2.5 hp 1.5kw 230v @ 50Hz
Again, it currently works off a normal 13A socket? From the sound of it you'd probably be served OK by a single 32A radial or ring for the sockets in the workshop. That's what I'd go for, the only issue being if you have 32A MCB at the house end there's no discrimination. With 10mm cable you might be able to have 40A at the house, depending on the installation methods. I'm not convinced I see the need for dedicated circuits for the welder and compressor in this particular case.

From the sound of it you'd probably be served OK by a single 32A radial or ring for the sockets in the workshop. That's what I'd go for, the only issue being if you have 32A MCB at the house end there's no discrimination. With 10mm cable you might be able to have 40A at the house, depending on the installation methods.
You wouldn't get any useful degree of discrimination between a 32A and 40A one, either. The only real 'issue' with non-discrimination is that a fault or overload on the sockets circuit could take out the house MCB, hence the workshop lighting. In some circumstances, that could be a potential hazard, but, if it were a concern, it could be addressed by the provision of (battery backed up) emergency lighting.

Kind Regards, John

So it's not a good idea to have for the compresser and welder to have there own circutis

The compresser has a 13amp plug also

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back