Worktop quandry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've posted this on another forum so you may have seen this elsewhere but I've always got good advice from here so posting in both.

I have fitted a U shaped kitchen with a return on one side of the open end (so more 90% of a rectangle really).

I intend to fit 40mm square edged beech worktops using butt joints.

I have a few questions to be honest but my first one is -

Am I best using the dog bone shaped cut outs on the underside with the long bolts or is there another way.?

If this is the best way, do I need to hire a jig or can I just rout elongated T shapes in matching positions 20mm deep?

Thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
You will need a jig otherwise being slightly out will show on the mated surfaces.

In the past biscuit joints and glue were used, or just butt joints with plastic covering the join, but bolts are more effective IMO

Blup

Thanks blup.

Thinking further about it, would a piece of half inch ply screwed underneath suffice or does the joint need pulling together?

For real timber worktops I prefer simple stretcher plates screwed below which allow expansion.[The plates have slotted holes which allow travel of the screw.]

Sponsored Links
For real timber worktops I prefer simple stretcher plates screwed below which allow expansion.[The plates have slotted holes which allow travel of the screw.]

With the joint glued or au naturel?

Make sure its sealed both sides before fitting. Foil tape underneath where it overhangs any heat/moisture source WM,DW,Oven etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back