Worktop Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

this is my first post on the forum - so please be gentle with me!!! ;)

There are metal 'pieces' on the worktop in my kitchen either side of the cooker. On one side this metal has started to lift (please see picture below).

I was wondering what you would recommend as the best way to re-secure this to the worktop? I am concerned that one of my kids might give themselves a bad gash on this sharp edge.

MTIA

Soth :cool:

Sponsored Links
Soth - try to prise them off completely - be gentle. Next, clean off any friable bits from the surface of the chipboard (worktop), ditto the back of the metal (is it aluminium or stainless steel?). Scraping will do this but avoid scratching the metal surface when it's inverted for this task. Clean away any dust and debris. Re-glue these sheets back into position with a thixotropic contact adhesive, something like Timebond. This stuff is like jelly, it's easy to spread in a thin layer on each mating surface. This is then left to go 'touch dry' (a very few minutes), then the items are mated together and will bond immediately. No need to clamp although I'd be tempted to apply a weight along the 'flappy' edge - have the weights ready before you begin (you could use a length of timber with hardback books above, or tins of dog food. Tip: before you apply the adhesive dry fit the bits together to check they'll mate OK. Whatever you do avoid getting the adhesive on the top surface ... it's a bugg*r to remove without leaving a 'burnish' mark on the metal.

Sponsored Links
I'd agree with this, just be very careful when laying the steel back in place as you can't slide it into place. Best to place one edge in its exact loctaion then lay the rest down carefully. good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back