worn out Myson rad bleed screws, help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a plumber in for another job the other day but asked him about some rads I had in our bedrooms. The rads are twins with no fins and have a bleed screw on each inner face at opposite ends. To me these have got to be the worst bleed screws ever, you need them tight so they dont weep yet they are getting rounded even though I am as careful as possible to put the key on properly and only turn them the least I can get away with.

They are a little pointed screw thing that go straight into the radiator, i.e. there is no bigger bit like you get on some radiators with the bleed screw in it, so basically nothing is replaceable apart from the bleed screw itself, that is the only removeable part.

The plumber unfortunately had no spare screws for me or could tell me any clever way to get them out; one I have I cannot get it to turn as it is quite rounded.

The plumber said these are old Myson rads.

So 2 questions,

Does anyone know a clever way or clever tool that will grip these type of bleed screw, I'd love to be able to get some small grips on one but the area is too awkward?

Are all these bleed screw the same thread size/same total size so that if I see them on Ebay or somehwere, I could just order 10 and replace my old ones and survive like that renewing them from time to time, or are there different sizes?

It would be lovely if they stuck out a bit as you could grab hold of them with grips but they dont for beauty sake so that you can put in the little white cap to hide them.

I would never buy a radiator again with this type of bleed screw, its just too full of problems.

Any info/help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Have a search on eBay. There is a company that manufactures replacements for the my sons. Then u just have to get them out.

I use irwin powergrip stud removers on these. If they are the ones with out fins they might be too close to the wall to use though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back