Worth converting conservatory to an extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not entirely sure this is the right place for this, so apologies in advance if it's not.

Currently we have a 3m x 9m conservatory at the back our bungalow. It’s about 4 courses of brick and the rest is glass, big floor to roof panels, some about 1.5m wide, with a polycarbonate roof (Ultralite 500 I think it is). All this was done about 10 years ago, long before we moved in. I’m assuming that originally this was separated from the living space, but at some point the division has been removed to make everything open plan, so there is about a 4.5 meter wide opening though the kitchen that leads straight into the conservatory.

The long and short is that, as expected, it’s an amazing big space it the summer but almost unusable for about 4 months of the year (we're in the South East), cold and condensation, including the kitchen. So we’re starting to think about removing it and replacing with a proper extension, ideally walls on either side, roof and glazing/doors looking out to the garden.

I’m pretty handy with DIY but this is way beyond my capabilities and time available. The stumbling point is whether, in terms of value it’s worth it? If we were adding an extension from scratch it, I can see it adding obvious value, but the space is already there, so would spending all that really be worth it?

Other option is to reinstate the division with some doors/wall – but that’s going to change the feel of the property a lot.

Haven’t had an proper quotes on it yet as getting a builder to actually stick to it when they say they’re coming around is proving a bit harder than expected.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated

Sponsored Links
Haven’t had an proper quotes on it yet as getting a builder to actually stick to it when they say they’re coming around is proving a bit harder than expected.
That's because you don't have anything tangible to quote for and you're pipe dreaming and they know it and why should they bother spending time on something that's probably never gonna go anywhere?

By removing the doors to the conservatory you've made it "illegal"
It was never intended to be anything other than an occasional use building, and any conversion would mean it was easier to knock it down.

I would consider installing external quality bifold doors (trifold-whatever) so that you keep the house warm in winter and cool in summer. My conservatory is too hot in summer so I use the patio doors inside to keep the house cool when I am out

I'm surprised your surveyor didn't pick it up when you bought, you've ended up in a tricky situation now with an unfit house. Perhaps they did that before they sold as a trick to get more money.
If it were me If I could possibly afford I'd rebuild the conservatory as an extension, but you're not going to get much change of a couple of tens of k.
The other option is you could try attaching insulation boards around as much of the glazing and roof as you can manage, if you Google around there are quite a lot of bodge it insulation jobs been done on conservatories. But it's never going to be right so you could be throwing good money.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the replies.

@freddiemercurystwin - not completely sure what you mean. Of course there is something tangible. The intention is to build a an extension to replace the conservatory - how is that a pipe dream? At least 4 builders have been no shows so far after booking an appointment. If you're not going to bother, why book an appointment to come around?

@Tigercubrider - I didn't remove the division, it was already like it. I'm fully aware that it probably was there when they built it and is a legal requirement for a conservatory. I'm assuming it was removed at a later date. Either way, it's not there now. Have considered the bifold door route, but the monies available to do more and it's such a better space as it currently is.

@John D v2.0 - it was done a while ago - seen pics from the last few sales as well and it was in the same condition. So must have been done by one of the earlier owners. The place was cheap and has needed a fair bit of work all over, which has slowly been done since purchasing - this is one of the last hurdles. Probably will end up biting the bullet and getting the extension done in the end I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back