Worth trying to save old wooden DG windows or get uPVC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our new house has a number of old double glazed units made out of wood which are all pretty tatty.

The seem to be original to the house (circa 1980) and thus are an old style of glazing with little/no space between the glass panes.

Originally I was inclined to have then replaced with new modern uPVC DG windows (can't afford to replace with new wooden ones)... however a couple of people have mentioned that I should try and save these windows by giving them some TLC.

I thought new windows would be much more thermally efficient and also easier to get replacement glass for (as a few of these units are blown).

What do others think? Stick with the wood, or go for plastic?

Thanks
Andy

View media item 50045 View media item 50048 View media item 50047

Sponsored Links
It's down to personal preferences really, some people just don't like UPVC! Personally I'd always prefer UPVC over wood since it's maintenence free :) You can get darkwood UPVC and the stuff we have is darkwood on the outside and white on the inside.

Thanks for the response.

I'm not really fussed about wood or plastic from a looks point of view.

You make a good point about maintainance, but I was also looking for feedback on whether it was worth the time and trouble of refubishing the windows or if I should go for new uPVC.

If I'm unable to get new glass for the blown units for example, or new DG is massively more energy efficent, then these things would help influence my decision.

So if anyone has got any views on those please let me know. Thanks!

You'll pretty much always be able to get new glass, I just had some units made up to replace old ones in my conservatory.

Sponsored Links
Can you always get new glass?

I understood that because these units were so old (there's literally a 1mm void between the panes) that I might not be able to get new panes manufactured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back