Would building a batton wall on the inner side of an exterior cavity wall cause any problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, thank you for reading this :)
The details are: the house is a 1987 build with:
Red brick outer skin,
Cavity (I don't have any more info about the cavity at the moment as all our stuff is in storage),
Thermalite blocks,
Thick plaster (12mm approx),
And a skim coat of plaster.

On top of the thick plaster and skim coat, I'm wanting to add a batton frame (25mm X 25mm battons), then plasterboard and skim plaster over the top. This is so I can run all the electrics in this newly created void.

I've read so much on insulation, condensation and damp that I've gone cross-eyed. The only thing I haven't been able to find out is: will this wall configuration cause any problems with condensation or damp or anything? I'd really appreciate any guidance - I'm utterly stumped

Sponsored Links
No because you’re on the warm side of everything, sounds a bit overkill though, why lose space rather than chase them in

Aw, thank you!! Glad to finally know what to do!! :)

Two main reasons for not chasing - the old plaster is vile, I can't face the dust and coughing that would ensue from chasing out. And also, I'm always changing stuff around so ensuring that there's easy access to the wiring is future-proofing the house against my inevitable later-date shenanigans!

Also, I imagine (hope) that the thick plaster is contributing in some tiny way to the overall air tightness of the house. Probably not to any extent that would make building a wall worthwhile, but in not digging into it there may be some fractional benefit, maybe?

Sponsored Links
As it is the outside wall, If you are going to do it, put 25mm kingspan or celotex in the gap, with channels for the cables.
Sfk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back