Damp patch on newly skimmed wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_4901.JPG
IMG_4924.JPG
Hi,

Just had my kitchen skimmed, waited for the skim tto dry then applied the mist coat. Few days later I have noticed that the top of the wall looks like it has a stain, this has continued to get worse, the plaster is soaking. It's on a external cavity wall, any ideas what could be causing this as before it was skimmed the wall was bone dry.

Directly above the damp is the bathroom toilet. Does this look like a leak or the plaster drawing water from wall

Thanks in advance
Mark

Sponsored Links
This is most certainly a leak from either the bathroom upstairs or an external gutter missing or a damaged roof. Have you a damp wall in the bathroom at floor level and above? If not it is a leak from some pipework in the floor so I would recommend you get that resolved as soon as possible. If it is left you may need to re plaster your wall as the plaster will start to bubble.

On another note I am not seeing much ventilation in your image. Have you got ventilation in each room?

This is most certainly a leak from either the bathroom upstairs or an external gutter missing or a damaged roof. Have you a damp wall in the bathroom at floor level and above? If not it is a leak from some pipework in the floor so I would recommend you get that resolved as soon as possible. If it is left you may need to re plaster your wall as the plaster will start to bubble.

On another note I am not seeing much ventilation in your image. Have you got ventilation in each room?

Thanks for your reply John, yes I have an extractor fan at the other side of the kitchen window, just had a full new kitchen install hence the walls being skimmed. No sign of any damp in the bathroom as it's all tiled. I can't get under the boards in the bathroom as they are all tiled so guessing I'll have to cut a hole in the ceiling and investigate from below.

Mark

Thanks for your reply John, yes I have an extractor fan at the other side of the kitchen window, just had a full new kitchen install hence the walls being skimmed. No sign of any damp in the bathroom as it's all tiled. I can't get under the boards in the bathroom as they are all tiled so guessing I'll have to cut a hole in the ceiling and investigate from below.

Mark
Yes Mark I think the only option unfortunately will be to cut a hole in the ceiling. Its not ideal but I think you will quickly see you have a leaking pie just above it. Also just before you do that run your hand along the back of the toilet upstairs where it meets the floor and do the same for the sink just in case there is water leaking from one of them and running along the ceramic where you will not see it and straight into the floor. But from what I can see in your images its a fairly big leak so possibly not that but worth a try before you pull your ceiling down.

Sponsored Links
Yes Mark I think the only option unfortunately will be to cut a hole in the ceiling. Its not ideal but I think you will quickly see you have a leaking pie just above it. Also just before you do that run your hand along the back of the toilet upstairs where it meets the floor and do the same for the sink just in case there is water leaking from one of them and running along the ceramic where you will not see it and straight into the floor. But from what I can see in your images its a fairly big leak so possibly not that but worth a try before you pull your ceiling down.
Thanks again John, I've made a hole and the ceiling is dripping wet around a half meter square, got a plumber coming this afternoon. Just one more question, will the ceiling need to be re boarded and skimmed or will it dry?
Mark

Thanks again John, I've made a hole and the ceiling is dripping wet around a half meter square, got a plumber coming this afternoon. Just one more question, will the ceiling need to be re boarded and skimmed or will it dry?
Mark
Mark typically its very difficult to patch in a ceiling. If it was me i would redo the ceiling but it really depends on how good your plasterer is. Half a meter square hole is a big patch but talk to your plasterer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back