Would the wall fall down ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
The rear elevation of my two storey house has a 6 foot patio door and a 5 feet window separated by 6 feet of brick/block work. (there are two windows on the upper floor)
I would like to replace the 5 foot window with a patio door but am nervous that the removal of the bricks under the window would weaken what would become a central pillar.

Could members please tell me if this work is feasible without altering the structural strength of the rear wall.

thanks
john

Sponsored Links
In theory, if you are only removing the wall below the window then it shouldn't be load bearing as the lintel over the window should be carrying the weight above.

If you are removing anything above or to the sides of the window to accommodate the new doors, then it could cause structural weakness.

Assuming you mean the 6ft wall will be the central pillar, then this may have to be strengthened. It's always best to consult a structural engineer with this type of work if you are in any doubt whatsoever.

as long as you don't disturb the bearings of the lintel you'll be fine, use a petrol/electric cutterfor neatness. remember to use a dpc when you close the cavity

Sponsored Links
hi,
many thanks for your replies.
I thought I may be ok but I didn't know whether the window bricks somehow contributed to the strength of the middle section of wall.
I will try to remove the bricks as carefully as possible using a cutter, not a chisel.

cheers
john

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back