Brickwork

as they have removed atleast a 3rd of the brick the overhang must now be more like 70mm ?

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the the lintel is sitting on 70mm onto the brickwork ?

Can you see it ? If so can you give us another photo of it ?

possibly more possibly less, they have plastered over it so I cant get a shot, But looking at the pic (posted) atleast a 1/3rd of the brick is removed, If the usual overhang on a lintel is 150mm then its more likly down to half this now. They have plastered over it but i dont know if they just filled the gap with plaster or cemented first ?

I've had varied opinions on this, the finished job looks very good, but some peolpe say it should never have been done like this others say it should be ok as long as the lintel goes over good brick which it looks as if it does.

For your piece of mind, I would chop it out and have a look because if it's 70mm I would be worried and should be a minimum of 150mm. Don't want to worry you but it's for your safely, won't take long to make goods afterward.
I asked the builder to come back after he done this and he assured me it was ok because the lintel and the patio door was not a structual part anyway
Something not right here, if the lintel is not a structual part then what is the lintel doing ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, by the way the quote is wrong I should have said the patio door wasnot structual not the lintel.

Ok I may chip it away and see if I can see how far the lintel is in by, I take it I will need to chip away the mortar to get to the lintel.

I assume if the overhang was only 150mm I'm in the sh 1t . I doubt they would have put a bigger lintel in than required when they built the house.

If it is less than 150mm - whats the best way to fix this bearing in mind there are now pipes for the aircon in the cut out section under the plaster.

ctaylor said:
If it is less than 150mm - whats the best way to fix this bearing in mind there are now pipes for the aircon in the cut out section under the plaster.
One at a time, find out what's the lintel overhang is first. Does the a/c pipe goes under the lintel or passed at the end of the lintel.

The aircon pipes come down from above the lintel and down the side of the old door , so the pipes would go over the front of the lintel. I am also assuming before they plastered over the walls they would have put some kind of wire meshing over the brickwork to stick the plaster to, this may cause a few problems trying to find the lintel !

I was also told that as only the front facing brick had been cut away and the rear breeze block was still intact it should be fine, but I get what your saying although its not shown any signs of cracking the plaster etc.

Thanks for you help on this

I need to fit another door in its place but it is a foot smaller, If I brick up the right of the opening this will ensure the Lintel has more than enough support is that correct.?

Yes, are you thinking of taking the patio door out and replacing with a smaller door or is this another job ?

If it's the patio door then the new bricks will need to be tie in the exsisting wall correctly. A bricklayer will help you on this one. If you do still want to keep the patio door try & find the lintel or a structural engineer can advise you.

We want to get rid of the old patio door and put in wooden french doors . But they are smaller hence bricking up the right hand side. Just incase we dont I will try and remove some plaster over the weekend and see if I can find the edge of the lintel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back