removeing loft bricks ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
im asking before doing cause knowing me the brick i take was holding the house up !

my loft is joined onto my neighbouring house which i happen to own also,

both houses are thin wall you can hear through them easy, but i believe them to be 2 brick, as the patteren is different from each side,
side 1 being messy bricke dup
and side 2 being very tidy
makes it very obviously not 1 brick later,
xdNfMdv.jpg

i need to remove bricks to gain a 5.5x5.5 inch hole into my house next door

im installing big aircon system and would like to offer pipes into my other house as my mother will be retiring there, i dont want her having the cost, and the houses are not overly sized, but my aircon is powerful enough to cool her house also,

im scared of casuing damage as im unsure as to how to remove bricks, there is no chimney stacks just walls

Sponsored Links
I think your problem is not just the bricks but whether this is allowed or not.

You will need to notify the council first of your plans before any work begins.

Anyway, to put pipes through a wall you could use a core drill to make neat round holes for the pipes.

I suppose there will be fire regulations to consider.

Edit
this is a UK website so you would do better to ask nearer home.

Out of curiosity, who built the roof structure as its got wood not working well and props missing. Looks as though its has already moved, hopefully it won't move any more.
Frank

Sponsored Links
If you want to support a beam, it is best to put the column under it, not nailed to its front. There should be props between the two purlins to stop them bending inwards, which I reckon has happened. This has caused the line of vertical props (too many?) to lean inwards towards each other.
Frank

I think it's the other way round; the uprights are not supporting the purlins, they are nailed to the purlins to support the ceiling joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back