Wrong undercoat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a pot of dulux trade undercoat and Without putting too much thought into it I painted a wall in preparation for a light green colour emulsion. It wasn't until after when I tried to clean the roller with water that I realised it's oil based and when reading the tin it says best for use on wood and metal! What should I do now? do I need to sand it all down or will the new emulsion be ok on this undercoat?

Sponsored Links
I'm amazed you weren't knocked out by the smell of a whole wall's worth of oil-based paint.

I'm also confused as to why you were using an undercoat before emulsion anyway. If changing the colour on a wall, you just need an extra coat of emulsion, not a special undercoat.

You won't need to sand it all down - just let it dry properly, then emulsion on top of it. Two coast at least!

I'm also confused as to why you were using an undercoat before emulsion anyway. If changing the colour on a wall, you just need an extra coat of emulsion, not a special undercoat.

Thanks for reply, I'm new to DIY and just assumed when changing a colour it would be best to put a white undercoat on first. Gutted when I realised it was oil based!
So you reckon it'll be ok to paint over with emulsion, that's a relief, thanks.

Sponsored Links
The paint tin usually carries useful info. about how to use it and whether an undercoat or any special preparation is needed. Worth reading it! Good luck with your decorating, anyway.

At least you will have thoroughly damp-proofed the wall in question, even if you didn't mean to!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back