Wylex Fusebox - Wired Fuses vs MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have an old Wylex Fusebox which has some re-wireable fuses and some MCB upgrades.

I know there is no great advantage in upgrading rewireable fuses to MCB's other than they can be reset quickly. They do not offer RCD protection.

However can you tell me, do MCB's react quicker to a fault than a wired fuse?

Thanks
Robin

Sponsored Links
Hello

I have an old Wylex Fusebox which has some re-wireable fuses and some MCB upgrades.

I know there is no great advantage in upgrading rewireable fuses to MCB's other than they can be reset quickly. They do not offer RCD protection.

However can you tell me, do MCB's react quicker to a fault than a wired fuse?

Thanks
Robin
The short answer is; Maybe.
The longer answer is; Generally yes they are quicker.

The MCB is a duel device, the thermal part is slow, and the magnetic part very fast, but it needs 5 times the current of the thermal part.

The graphs of the fuse and MCB's cross, but although the cartridge fuse is reasonable predictable, the rewireable fuse varies so not quite as cut and dried.

The problem with the MCB is if the current is just slightly below trip point, it will not trip on the magnetic part, so the loop impedance and volt drop are critical. Where with the fuse it just takes a slight bit longer.

So before replacing a fuse with a MCB the loop impedance must be measured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back