XP Home to be retired ... ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[url=http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060103-5891.html]LINK Ken Fisher[/url] said:
"For consumer products, security updates will be available through the end of the mainstream phase. For Windows XP Home Edition, there will be no security updates after 12/31/06." Regarding paid support for problems unrelated to security patches, I was told that "Users who want to continue to receive support after the Microsoft assisted and paid support offerings have ended may visit the Retired Product Support Options Web site."

How long will the 'stay of execution' last .. If there should be one?
:( :(

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
Don't think XP Pro can have much longer.

Says in the April edition of Computer Shopper: "Microsoft adopted a policy of fixed support lifecycles for its produts in 2002. Business software such as Windows XP Professional is guaranteed 'mainstream support' for two years after the release of a new version of Windows, but this does not apply to consumer products".

The Home Edition is being sold all over the place currently though. Suppose new punters would be wise to go for the Prof. :confused:

Yeah, I was coming from more of a professional point of view rather than a user. Reason being that for large enterprises it takes 3/4/5 years to roll an OS across the estate.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I was coming from more of a professional point of view rather than a user. Reason being that for large enterprises it takes 3/4/5 years to roll an OS across the estate

I agree, I'm in IT, and a lot of my clients actually still use 2000 pro, for a couple of main reasons:
1- it works so why change it
2- the costs would be too much, major hardware upgrade etc.

A lot also use xp pro (obviously) and I should imagine they will do for many years to come, just because there is no support from m$ doesnt stop people, they cant always afford the "latest and greatest"
A couple I know still have NT4 servers, again, why pay for 2k/2k3 server + CAL's + admins time to upgrade when it does all it needs to do.
I think its disgusting that they stop support/uodates etc just to force people to buy a new o/s, then they wonder why there are so many dodgy copies floating about, its not as if they (m$) cant afford to give longer support.

Back