WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION PROBLEMS!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About two years ago, I bought a pc with Windows XP - Home Edition pre-installed and have experienced problems, virtually, ever since.

I have tried restoring the Windows system by all available means on several occasionsand have also completely re-installed it on a fairly regular basis.

Last August, I finally got it running ok and, although a little on the slow side and a couple of windows explorer error messages that appeared when first starting the system, it was working up until last Wednesday when, following the advice of a good friend, I decided to download the various Windows updates, including Service Pack 2.

Since then, I have been getting more error messages, a black logon screen asking me to log on (something that I have never had to do before) and I get the following error messages:-

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needed to close"

then

"Windows logon UI encountered a problem and needed to close"

Both of these give me the option to tell Microsoft about the problem which I always elect to do.

Although I, sometimes, have difficulty clearing these boxes (on occasions I have had to simply drag the box off of the visable screen) I can then use the pc without too many problems.

However, if I leave it for a while and the screensaver (simple Windows XP one) kicks in when I next move the mouse or hit a key all I get is a blank blue screen with the mouse arrow, which I able to move freely.

I then have to re-boot the machine to be able to use it.

I know that there was a problem with one of the 'updates' in respect of drivers for my integrated AC97 sound facility (now CMedia) but I have cured this by re-installing the original ones.

Since last week, I have also experienced problems with installing some software, receiving messages saying that the installation has had to abort because an installation file has been corrupted. I have since installed the same program, using the same disk, onto my laptop with no problems.

I am begining to think that there is an inherent problem, either with the hard disk or one of the memory modules.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VM400M (Second edition)!

Any help, suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I would start from scratch again.
Backup your Data, Format the Hard Drive, Install Win XP Home, Install your drivers for sound, video etc.. You should have the discs, if not get them from the net before starting over.
Don't install any other software/hardware and see how your system is performing.

If applicable:
-Plenty of Memory testers out there just google "Memory Tester".
-Get the make and model of your hard drive and download some diagnostics tools from their website e.g. Maxtor Powermax.

It could be a whole host of things wrong at this stage. Check your event viewer for clues and if errors occur search for the answers/patches on Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Hope this helps.

Before re-installing, check here to check your not on a thrashing to nothing.

You said that your PC came with XP Home already preinstalled.

Q. Did you buy the PC from a reputable Company or Soft Micks Chip Shop (Custom Build).

Sponsored Links
It was a present, I believe bought from a computer shop in South London but, unfortunately, it has ceased trading since.

The machine was built by the shop:-

The motherboard (K7 Triton) series has integrated ATA133 Raid graphics and AC97 Audio.

The processor is an AMD XP2600.

It has a 256Mbit DDR DIMM

It came with a Windows Home Edition installation cd and a Gigabyte Motherboard Utilities CD VUCD Ver. 2.22

It has a 80GB hard drive

I am considering deleting Service Pack 2 or using the restore point facility but as it did have some problems prior to installing it I am begining to think that my only real option is to re-format the hard disk, check that it is not physically damaged in some way and then start from scratch. However, there may be a problem with the memory module!

Another thing that may have some relevance is that, just over 12 months ago, the original cpu overheated and was replaced and at the same time, as a precautionary measure, so was the motherboard (the replacement cpu being exactly the same and the motherboard with a later version of the same model)!

Back