Norton Antivirus 2005

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
i'm trying and have been since April 14th to install NAV 05.
My 04 version subscription expired and i purchased the 05 version.
Now when i try to install it i get as far as live update and everything that is found is installed all except the norton antivirus update which throws up the following error message
Your operating system is windows 98/me. This update is not designed for windows 98/me...... Ok no problem but i'm running windows xp and have never ran any other operating system on this pc.
I returned the disc as faulty and was given a replacement, but still i get the error message.
I have downloaded the new version of live update but still get same message
Can anyone help please as i use this pc a lot and with the current virus climate being what it is i cant afford to be infected..
Regards

Sponsored Links
no idea about your problem (unless you uninstall previous version) but you could try avg from here its free

Cheers Igorian.
I have already given this a go and still get same error message
I have gone as far as regedit, and cleared the computer of all symantec installs or as much as i think ihave....
Any other ideas.... ?

Sponsored Links
All XP service packs up to date?
Empty the temp files folder. Make sure all the old Symantec folders are removed.

Not had any problems with NAV2005 on XP myself, although I mainly use Bitdefender these days. Symantec have been known to have compatibility problems with their own stuff in the past. Try sending them an email (but don't hold your breah).

Igorian said:
All XP service packs up to date?
Empty the temp files folder. Make sure all the old Symantec folders are removed.

Hi,
Yeah xp service pack up to date
I have removed all symantec via search option but one thing i have not done is empty the temp files folder, wouldnt that have been searched via the search i carried out... How do i find the temp files folder ?

edited to correct quote

Run the cleanup manager (START>RUN and type cleanmgr and click ok). Select the drive (usually C) and then tick all the boxes (unless you want to keep any of it).

You might need to uninstall liveupdate separately from NAV in order to clear the old history.

Back