XPS insulation between concrete slab and hot tub?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can’t quite decide if this is a good idea. I’ve laid a 125mm thick concrete slab for the hot tub and was thinking to put Celotex under it to retain the heat. I e-mailed them and they said it wasn’t suitable and to use something with a higher compressive strength.

Now I’m thinking 20mm of this but not sure if the numbers add up:
46D79A1F-AF56-4292-9A0A-AC0D95A3DC9F.png

And the spec:
A5A2EB90-8413-4C81-B0B6-2B8FCB7C1D08.png

There will also be plastic grass between the tub and insulation but if it would be better I could cut that around it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is it a proper hot tub or an inflatable one? If its a proper hot tub then ask the manufacturer if its worth it?

Good idea, it’s a proper one so I’ve e-mailed the distributor to ask, although, they have the staff pictures on the website and they look like a load of car salesmen.

E-mails to their sales and info address’s both bounced back :confused:

Sponsored Links
It’s a Platinum Spas but I’ve bought it through a local shop.

Thanks for that (y)

I don’t understand those figures either so I googled the difference between EPS and XPS and there doesn’t seem to be much.

I’m going to give it a try and if it fails for whatever reason I can always get rid of it or swap it for something else.

How much does the hot tub weigh, and over what area is that weight distributed?

As an example, if it has a flat bottom, then tonne over 1 sq metre applies an even pressure of 10 kPa. Compare with the quoted 300 kPa for 10% compression of that XPS board.

On the other hand if it puts all the weight on four feet each of 5cm x 5cm, that’s 1000 kPa under those feet.

It’s spread through a flat bottom that measures 2.1x2.1mtrs. It weighs 300kg dry but must hold at least a ton of water, I’m not sure of the exact volume.

Thanks endecotp (y)

Does the 300kpa mean that the 1595kg could sit on as little as 53sq/cm?

Hello, why do you want to insulate under the tub? Any decent tub has insulation sprayed around and under at manufacture. Heat rises so you would do better buying a thicker cover.

Tubs I've seen have a void under the insulation for the pump, controls etc. You wouldn't want to insulate that area as the pump could over heat.

I think the heat will travel all ways so don’t want to be heating the concrete slab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back