Y-Plan Woes...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm looking for some help as I've exhausted all my resources and knowledge. Let me describe the current system...

Boiler: Potterton Suprima 30
Timer: Center EHE0200160
Frost-Stat: Potterton PRT-100
Room-Stat: Potterton PR-100
Hot Water Cylinder: Joule Cyclone Indirect/Un-vented
Cylinder Stat: Joule Cyclone Dual Thermostat
Configuration: Y-Plan

Mechanical Configuration: https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/prime23.uk/mech.png
Electrical Configuration: https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/prime23.uk/elec.png

Ok, so I've just added the Joule Indirect cylinder into the system as per the mechanical diagram above. The electrical configuration is also as per the diagram EXCEPT that the pump live is wired to a separate Pump Live (instead of the switched live) from the boiler to allow it to overrun.

Setting the timer H/W ON (continuous), C/H OFF, cylinder stat to 50 deg, the pump runs, the boiler fires up, the valves are correctly positioned and heat flows to the cylinder only. The system correctly shuts everything down when the cylinder stat temperature is reached.

Setting the timer H/W OFF, C/H ON (continuous), room stat to 30 deg (max), the pump runs, the boiler fires up, the valves are correctly positioned and heat flows the the radiators only. The system correctly shuts everything down when the room stat temperature is reached.

So my problem..

Setting the timer H/W ON (continuous), C/H ON (continuous), room stat to 30 deg (max), cylinder stat to 50 deg, the valves are correctly positioned and heat flows to both the cylinder and the radiators as expected. All good so far!

Now when the cylinder stat reaches the required temperature the system shuts down completely (boiler off, pump off after a bit of overrun). It does not divert the heat from the boiler to the radiators as I would expect. At first I thought it was just the room stat already at the required temperature but I have tested with setting the room stat to minimum so the radiators/house is cold and let the cylinder heat up and shutdown, then turn up the room stat back up to maximum. I would expect the system to fire up to satisfy the room stat requirement but it does not.

I've double, triple checked all connections and valves. All are working correctly and is proven when the heating and hot water settings are used separately on the timer. It's just that when both are used together the cylinder stat seems to take control and the system shuts down when it is satisfied and it ignores the room stats requirements.

Has anyone else seen this or can explain what might be happening?

Thanks,
Gareth.

Sponsored Links
Never understood why people use a Y-plan for unventeds. They supply a zone valve in the kit so just add another and use an S-plan setup. Electrically less problematic.
Assuming you have G3 qualification of course. If not, leave well alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back