Yale 6400 : how to replace control panel batteries?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The batteries in the control panel need to be replaced. How is this done? There are four screws on the back of the panel-so do I undo these and is the battery easily accessible with the back plate off? I can't find any instructions on how to do this.
I have ordered the batteries.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No-one has replied so as I've replaced the batteries, I'll explain here how I did it. You can look at this diagram http://www.xcelplus.co.uk/ebay/Instructions/Installation instructions_HSA6000.pdf for guidance.
However, I found that when I opened the back of my 6400 control panel by unscrewing the four screws on the base, that there were in fact TWO wires going from the main circuit board to the back cover. One was the battery wire and the other , I think, was a tamper wire.
I would advise taking a picture of the wires in place before detaching them and referring back to it before putting the new battery wire and the tamper wire back. Also, of course, you have to be careful not to pull the back cover away from the base before detaching the wires, or you'll break stuff.
I hope this helps in case anyone else has to do this. My 6400 batteries died completely after about 4 1/2 years' use. Fingers crossed, the alarm seems to be working fine now. As has been said elsewhere on these boards, the control panel doesn't lose settings such as phone numbers and detectors do not need to be learned in again. I was not looking forward to going up on a ladder to learn in the siren again but there was no need. The only things I had to put back in were the time and date.

FWIW it's a long time since I changed a Yale battery. I have an idea it was either an older model, or the genuine part was highly priced, but I got a battery pack from a model car supplier, might have been Tamiya, of the same voltage and similar dimensions. As technology improves fast in rechargeable batteries, I was able to get more mAh than the original. I had to re-use the old plug connector but I have a crimper. You have to check the battery technology is compatible with the panel charger.

If you have difficulty reaching the siren (remember you have to change the batteries) you might find a window cleaner will do it. For my old mum I put the siren where it could be reached through an upstairs window.

Sponsored Links
That's a good point about putting the siren near an upstairs window. When I put an additional siren at the back of the house I screwed it onto a rectangular piece of wood. I then screwed the piece of wood it was mounted on to the wall from inside the house - from an upstairs window, so that when I need to change the batteries I can quite easily reach out and unscrew the whole thing-wood with siren on, and do it in comfort in the house. Good idea about a window cleaner-I'll bear that in mind for the siren on the front of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back