Yale 6400 Multiple Sirens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Yale 6400 and 2 working sirens. I was wondering if it's possible to add more sirens (big property) but I can't find an answer to this question. I've been emailing the Yale support site for weeks now and they won't give me a definitive answer. All they say is that more that one box isn't recommended, even though I've been using 2 sirens for the last 6 years - they can't seem to elaborate on why more than one siren is not recommended, or tell me if more than 2 sirens would actually work. So, I'm wondering if anyone on here can help?

Thanks,

Matt

Sponsored Links
With the HSA6400, you can add an infinite number of sirens.

They act as radio receivers only.

The control panel transmits a signal that the siren receives, with an identifing code that the receiver "learns" so it reacts only to that transmitter.

A radio transmitter does not know or care how many receivers are tuned to it.

The sirens are quite loud, and some say it is a good idea to put one indoors, but out of reach, e.g. on the landing ceiling where you need a stepladder, because it stresses and disorientates an intruder (and wakes you up)

In my own house I have a different system, but have an extra keypad and ceiling sounder upstairs where it will wake people. I have fire doors which block out sound.

You could (maybe still can) get a smoke detector for the HSA6400 so it acts as a noisy fire alarm. Again, the upstairs landing ceiling is a good place. They accept a large number of sensors.

The HSA3000 series sirens and sensors also work, and may be cheaper. It does not matter if you get round or rectangular cases. The 3000 keypads however are quite tricky to learn in to a 6000.

Last edited:
if you are adding extra bits, I recommend putting the panel out of sight, well away from points of entry (perhaps in a bedroom cupboard) and using a remote keypad close to (but not visible from) the front and back door. If you have pets, sooner or later you will open the back door half asleep, and set the alarm hooting.

The cheapest way to buy a new siren, keypad and extra sensors is to buy the HSA6200 kit (it has no control panel, but all the accessories work with 6400).

Thank you that's very helpful. One more question I had - when I tested the sirens the other day, even though they are identical, it sounded like one was making a different noise - like an intermittent sound rather than constant. I may have imagined it, or it may have been that somehow the sound from one appeared to cancel out the other, but I thought it might be worth asking if this could be the case? I'm assuming from what you've already said it isn't likely since each siren is just a receiver and therefore would all receive the same signal and respond the same way? Thanks again,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Unless the design has changed over time, I think they all warble about the same.

But there is an effect when two noises at similar frequencies interfere with each other. If they are very close you get a "beat"

I can't remember what this effect is called.

Edit
here we are
https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/sound/Lesson-3/Interference-and-Beats

I'm not sure if Doppler Effect is the right name for what you've got.

You may find it sounds different if you turn your head or move around.

That makes sense! Finally, I understand needing to hide the control panel to stop them disconnecting it which would presumably stop the control panel sending the signal to the sirens to make them sound and also allow it to dial out, but in terms of hiding the wireless keypads from sight - I'm just wondering how this helps? Is it just to stop them identifying what the alarm system is? Thanks!

That makes sense! Finally, I understand needing to hide the control panel to stop them disconnecting it which would presumably stop the control panel sending the signal to the sirens to make them sound and also allow it to dial out, but in terms of hiding the wireless keypads from sight - I'm just wondering how this helps? Is it just to stop them identifying what the alarm system is? Thanks!

Once the sirens have started, smashing the panel won't stop them, but yes, it takes time to phone out.

If the keypads are out of sight, it prevents people knowing what you've got (there are various systems using the same siren shell) or snatching one. They might know your birthday, card PIN, or have found out the number in some way. I once fitted a genuine keypad from a different maker where it could be seen from the door, to confuse an intruder and waste his time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back