Yale HSA 6400 DC Help/Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'd really appreciate some help on an issue I'm currently having.

I have purchased and installed the Yale HSA 6400 system, however I keep getting the amber fault/warning light (tamper) on the control panel for the DC I have placed on the kitchen door located at the rear of my property.

I have tried to clear the log but it still remains. It will not delete when I hit the return key and select to delete/clear the fault.

I have however managed to clear this fault by removing it from the control panel and then adding it again as a new device. The problem I am having is that every time the back door is opened, there is a fault and it will trigger the amber light again!

I only wanted the DC on the rear door so that when the alarm is set, if an intruder entered via the rear door it would trigger the alarm. I have tried to change the settings for the DC as Exit, Away, Burglar etc, but every time the door is opened the fault will appear on the control panel until the device is manually removed from it and re-added as a new device.

We open the kitchen door on a regular basis to go to the shed, when we cook every night, use the garden etc..so it's really annoying.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I suspect it is not fitted right. If the door and frame are not flat-faced, the tamper spring may not make good contact and push hard enough. It may be that the vibration of the slamming door is shaking it. I have had this trouble on a fancy moulded Edwardian frame and door, and had to mould a flat surface using hard white filler. Sometimes you will get a better placement by fixing it on the head of the door rather than the lock stile. If the frame is wide enough put the sensor there as it will rattle less.

Take the sensor and magnet off the door, and try them out on the kitchen table, and look for the cause of the trouble. You can use strong tape or your thumb to hold the spring in. Look inside to see everything is correctly placed and undamaged.

If you have used the sticky pads, then (when you have verified and tested the placement) add the screws to hold it more firmly.

Set the door contacts as "entry" and you will hear them start the entry count-down if you open them when the alarm is set.

Try a new battery, if the battery is old, weak, or tarnished it can sometimes cause odd behaviour. Polish the contacts with an old toothbrush moistened with WD40.

The system is brand new, only purchased a couple of days ago from screwfix.

The door frame is upvc and has a slight design angle around the edges therefore the DC was stuck down using the sticky pad on the angled area. The magnet was then placed as close as possible to the device on the door. I suppose the device itself may not be attached securely enough to completely keep the tamper switch pushed in fully although it did seem quite secure at first glance.

I will give this a try tonight and update, fingers crossed that this solves the issue.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

You may need to place a small piece of card between the frame and the sensor just to ensure the tamper spring is properly closed. If you have a moulding shape and the sensor is bridging the little 'valley' it makes the spring may not be fully compressed. Also check the spring is still in place they can sometimes be knocked off when fitting with the resulting tamper fail even when everything appears fastened down.You could also try 'stretching' the spring a little to ensure it creates enough pressure to keep the switch closed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I have resolved the issue with both of your suggestions. As suspected, the tamper spring behind the device had expanded causing the tension of the spring to reduce dramatically to the point where the entire spring had to be pushed in to activate the switch.

I reshaped the spring with some pliers as best as I could and used a screw with a flat head, cutting the excess length of the screw off, creating a "T" shape. The bottom of the "T" sits snug inside the spring and the head of the screw pushes flush against the door frame. This has given the spring some extra sturdiness.

Thanks for your help. Once again very much appreciated.

[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back