YALE HSA6200 PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my partner fitted the Yale alarm about 2 months ago.
It works fine while we are out during the day but when it is set on a night it always goes off.
Sometimes it triggers within 30 mins but it usually triggers after we have been in bed between 1 and 2 hours. We cannot work out what is causing it.
We have 2 sensors downstairs but none upstairs. No pets in the house.
The instructions are very minimal and we are at a complete loss as to what is causing it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The HSA6200 is a simple siren-based set with no control panel, which means it has no display to show where the alert is coming from.

It should have two door (or window) sensors, and two PIRs.

Assuming that the doors are not loose and don't rattle in their frames, I'd start by taking the batteries out of the PIRs. It might be that one of them can see some hot or moving object, perhaps a halogen lamp or a mouse, or maybe it is looking at a window and can see something moving outside. If that doesn't do any good, take the batteries out of the door sensors.

If it still goes off when there are no batteries in the sensors, then either the siren case is loose on the wall and the tamper switch is operating, or there might be some other electrical or electronic object, perhaps a security light, that is causing interference. In this case bring the siren into the house and see if it happens when the siren is lying on a flat table (which presses on the tamper button) in different parts of the house. They sometimes suffer interference from a wireless internet router or a baby monitor, but I have only known that block or weaken the signal, not set off an alarm. It is theoretically possible for the "anti-jamming" circuits to set off the siren if it is getting so much interference that it thinks someone is trying to overwhelm it, but I have never spoken to anyone who has experienced that in an ordinary domestic house in an ordinary residential street, and I have never known anybody need to turn off the anti-jamming detection. If you lived next door to an arc-welding factory or a BBC transmitter, it would be troublesome.

If it turns out to be a router, baby monitor or something, you will probably be able to cure it by moving the siren and the other device further apart. It is easier to try that by moving around inside the house than by running up and down ladders to fix it on different parts of the wall. Interference may also be coming from an adjacent home. You only need to fix the siren back on the wall when you have found a safe place. You can leave the dummy box on the wall until then, so people will not know your alarm is out of action. It is preferable not to have the siren annoying the neighbours with false alarms, they will learn to ignore it.

BTW for the benefit of other readers, I strongly recommend the better HSA6400 alarm as an alternative, which includes a control panel and costs more, but is frequently sold at discount. As well as showing you the origin and status of alarms, it can dial out and call you or keyholders. Sorry.

Thanks John will try what you have suggested and hopefully find the cause.

but I have only known that block or weaken the signal, not set off an alarm
If the siren box detects that it is being blocked then it will sound the siren, that is the only way it can alert the user to the fact that the system is being blocked and alarm messages from sensors cannot be received by the siren box.

From the Yale instruction manual

This unit is equipped with the latest type of
radio receiver using AM radio technology. If the
system is armed any criminal attempt to interfere
detector transmissions will trigger an alarm.
If the alarm is frequently triggered by interference
there may be high levels of unusual radio signals
in your area. Some kinds of electronic equipment
can generate this kind of radio interference.
In the unlikely event of you experiencing problems
with interference, it is recommended that you
switch interference detection off.

( this is slightly different wording from the "advice" in the previous version of the manual )

If you do switch off "interference detection" then it is possible for a criminal to block the system. Alarm messages from sensors will then not reach the siren and a break in will not sound the alarm

Sponsored Links

It will be really exciting if you are in an ordinary domestic house in an ordinary residential street and you have an "interference" alarm.

Then we will be able to say that we have actually heard of a case where it happened, instead of it being just a hypothetical possibility that nobody has ever seen.

but I have only known that block or weaken the signal, not set off an alarm

And have you?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back