Yale Not Auto Double Locking / Handle Loose

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
lock008.jpg

lock006.jpg

lock007.jpg

Unless the handle is perfectly horizontal the lock will not auto double lock because the cut-out in the handle control washer does not align with the auto deadlock actuating pin.

With the lock disassembled the handle is free to rotate and makes no attempt to auto centre. The handle seems not to be spring loaded and its position is solely dependant on the bolt slide which due to the design allows it to flop down a bit and stop the auto deadlock from working.

What part of the mechanism should keep the handle horizontal and what is likely to have gone wrong with the lock?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
does the actual latchbolt not stay fully extended by itself, or is it just the handle? It looks to me that the spring may be damaged.

If you take it to a lock shop they might be able to repair it for you.

• Thanks
Reactions: ABN
if you can work out which part is missing or damaged, you could write to the makers and they might send you one.

I did that when I had a broken spring in a (ridiculously expensive) Chubb 4L67E BS deadlocking nightlatch, and they sent me a replacement spring FOC

It might be relevant that the Chubb had an incredibly long guarantee, I think it might be 25 years. I have always used Chubbs (now rebranded Union "C" series and this hs reinforced my loyalty.

However it is owned by the same company that makes Yales. Assa Abloy, so give it a try.

edit
yes it is a 25 year guarantee, I don't know how long the Yale guarantee is. The BS year may be stamped in the forend, and the year of manufacture might be stamped, inside the case, on the end of the latchbolt.

edit again
is it one of these?
http://www.yaledoorandwindowsolutio...ale-Emea-Partner/?groupId=742&productId=10400

• Thanks
Reactions: ABN
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes the Latchbolt does stay out. It has been removed in the picture.

Yup it is the same lock that you posted.

With the latch bolt removed the handle has no resistance and just flops down.

Have removed the handle but cannot see by what means the handle is meant to be kept in place. Can therefore work out whether there is and broken or missing parts.

Have searched google for an exploded diagram of the handle mechanism but been unable to find one.

Sponsored Links
I bet there is a spring missing. Was it like that when you moved in?

No I brought the lock brand new some 15yrs or so ago but the handle has been saging for some time. Its only the other day that I realised that because the handle was not centre that the double locking was not working.

When I took it to pieces nothing fell out. So very confused. Think your right that a spring must be missing, detached or broken but can workout where it would be fitted or how it would work.

I suppose somewhere round the spindle then, in that protuberance perhaps. If you take the circlip out it will probably come apart.

If not, time to save up for a new one.

I notice Wickes have the ERA equivalent (pack is branded Wickes but it says ERA on the lock) for £39.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back