Replacing multi-point locking handle

D

Deleted2797112

I need to replace a handle on a composite front door. The locking system has three bolts that shoot into the frame plus the key-operated lock. The way the existing handle works is that to lock the door, you don't need to use the key. You just pull the handle up to the 12 o'clock position and it locks and the handle returns to the normal 3 / 9 o'clock position.

I've tried looking for a handle that works this way but have only found the type where the handle remains at the 12 o'clock position when you lock it - I think these may be for sliding doors? I've also not found any handles that have the same screw centres so I'll have to drill new holes.

I've measured the centre spindle to centre lock barrel and it's 92mm so it's a standard size. Will any 92PZ handle work or is there a specific product that does what the existing handle does? TBH I'm not that fussed about having to lock the new handle with a key but just want to make sure I get something that locks the door.

Thank you!

View media item 90647
View media item 90648
View media item 90649

Sponsored Links
I haven't come across this locking system before but I suspect its the gearbox within the door that does the locking and the handle is just a standard one.
Unless it is a lever/pad arrangement, You could test by taking the handle off and seeing if you have 1 or 2 spindles.

You say you measured to the center of the lock, Just checking but its the center of the round part of the lock you measure too, See here http://www.handlestore.com/info/sizes-upvc-door-handles/

As for fixing holes you can drill new ones but be sure your not going to be drilling through and of the locking gear before you buy the handle.

Thanks, that's really helpful! I've had the handle off and there is only one spindle. I followed those instructions for measuring too, using the round part as you say.

Is the only way to tell where the gearing is to take off the entire locking system from the full length of the door edge?

It is the only way to be 100% sure, Sometimes the screws go through holes in the gearbox.
Once the cylinder and spindle are out its only a case of taking out the long screws down the edge and sliding it out a bit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks! Looks like I need to be brave and do as you suggest. If the screws go through the gearbox then I'm not going to be able to replace just the handles? They have three screws one of which is immediately below the handle. I haven't found any handles with this configuration of screws. I think then I'd have to replace the entire locking mechanism?

Three screw holes is a bit over kill. Can you find any 2 hole handles that will align with 2 of the holes?

Thanks - good idea. When I take the handle off again I'll measure the top/bottom screw centres accurately and see what I can find. Thanks again!

That's brilliant, thank you. I'll try both when I get the measurements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back