dead locking stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..i i lifted the handle to dead lock the pvc door and the locked to door with the key...
the key lock works fine..but the handle wont lower from the horizontal position,to release the dead locking bolts..!

I have taken the handle off and tryed to turn the spindle with an adjustable spanner..only to twist the spindle..

any advise would be great...am i looking at a new door?

kind regards john

Sponsored Links
Hi john .Can you remember what the lock system looked like when the door was open and the handle raised? What i'm driving at is that if its a hook up/down and roller cam type then its a lot more difficult to release then just cams alone. First thing is to de-glaze the panel or glazing to allow the door sash more flexibility. With this done, try lifting the leading edge of the door with a bar and block of wood under it - it may just have 'dropped' over a period of time and needs a little persuasion to open. If this fails, try - depending on the type of hinges you have- winding the hinge adjustment away from or towards the lock mech to release it that way. Adjusters are usually behind a small cover and adjusted with an allen key; however, some need the door to be open to release a nylon plate that allows the face cover to come off the hinge. Sorry there are many variables that might apply :( Finally, if the lock mech is stuck in the locked position, you will have quite a task on your hands opening it - lets just hope its only jammed against the keeps. Use a bit of force - sometimes it can be the only way. good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back