UPVC door dead bolt locks become out of line, Please Help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am hoping that some one can help me with my UPVC door lock?
As this door has 3 locks, one in the middle operated by key and 2 one at top and the other at the bottom that are activated when levering handle up. (sorry if i sound like a noob but not sure what they are called, dead locks?)

The door is a conservatory door and over time the door has moved out of line where the dead bolts go into holes. So i can lock the door with key lock but dead locks will not fulling engage.

Can any one advise me how i can adjust and reline the dead bolts.

Cheers :)

Door.jpg

Door1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the door has dropped.

Close the door and see if the corner weld of the door lines up with the weld on the frame.

If the door weld is lower than the frame weld,then the door has dropped and the glass will need to be removed and racked again(racked =putting plastic packers between the glass and door leaf to keep your door square)

To do this properly you need to take the beads out and pack the glass again...I will guess that when the door was fitted the packers didn't have a bit of silicone on them to keep them in place and as it's a door,over time with it banging shut the packers have worked loose and let the door drop.

Tools required.

Flat knife
Maybe more packers but you should just be able to reuse old ones.
Silicone+gun.
Glazing shovel.(like a bolster but made of plastic)

close your door,take out beads and you should see 1 packer on the bottom right hand side and 1 packer on the right hand jamb about 3 or 4 inches up.

You should also see the same on top left corner as well.

what you need to do is put the glazing shovel in the top of the frame between glass and frame and lift the frame off the glass and put a packer in so the door leaf and door frame welds are in line(It's the glass that keeps the door in square.

Tap bottom bead back in,but only 3 or 4 inches in each corner...this will help stop the glass sliding back out of the frame and allow you to still rack the door properly.

You will probably have to put a packer top left corner of the upright as well(this is where you use the silicone when the frame is square)the silicone will stop the packer working loose and falling inside the frame and making your door drop again.

If you door is fully glazed then you should have a packer half way down the door leaf....just make sure you don't over pack here as it will bow the door(use silicone here as well...once door is back in square again)

Put top bead back in...same way as bottom one and try door...if all ok put both side beads back in....jobs a good un :)

If you get stuck,post again.

Glass will be toughened,so make sure you place it on wood(looks like you have square carpet tiles,so they should be ok) If you place on ceramic tiles and a bit of grit gets between glass and tile,it could go bang...which will cost you :)
Rob.

Sounds like the door has dropped.

Close the door and see if the corner weld of the door lines up with the weld on the frame.

If the door weld is lower than the frame weld,then the door has dropped and the glass will need to be removed and racked again(racked =putting plastic packers between the glass and door leaf to keep your door square)

To do this properly you need to take the beads out and pack the glass again...I will guess that when the door was fitted the packers didn't have a bit of silicone on them to keep them in place and as it's a door,over time with it banging shut the packers have worked loose and let the door drop.

Tools required.

Flat knife
Maybe more packers but you should just be able to reuse old ones.
Silicone+gun.
Glazing shovel.(like a bolster but made of plastic)

close your door,take out beads and you should see 1 packer on the bottom right hand side and 1 packer on the right hand jamb about 3 or 4 inches up.

You should also see the same on top left corner as well.

what you need to do is put the glazing shovel in the top of the frame between glass and frame and lift the frame off the glass and put a packer in so the door leaf and door frame welds are in line(It's the glass that keeps the door in square.

Tap bottom bead back in,but only 3 or 4 inches in each corner...this will help stop the glass sliding back out of the frame and allow you to still rack the door properly.

You will probably have to put a packer top left corner of the upright as well(this is where you use the silicone when the frame is square)the silicone will stop the packer working loose and falling inside the frame and making your door drop again.

If you door is fully glazed then you should have a packer half way down the door leaf....just make sure you don't over pack here as it will bow the door(use silicone here as well...once door is back in square again)

Put top bead back in...same way as bottom one and try door...if all ok put both side beads back in....jobs a good un :)

If you get stuck,post again.

Glass will be toughened,so make sure you place it on wood(looks like you have square carpet tiles,so they should be ok) If you place on ceramic tiles and a bit of grit gets between glass and tile,it could go bang...which will cost you :)
Rob.

Thanks for your time Rob, The door itself is fine and closes without problem its only when it come to using the deadlocks that the locks will not engage.

Looking at the first picture if i unscrew and take it out then close the door the dead bolts lock fine so im guessing that i will need to raise this so that it then lines back up with the dead locks? Was just wondering if there was an easier way?

Cheers
Mav

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back