Yellow gas service pipe only 100mm deep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been digging in my front garden to make a shallow bed for some slabs, and at only 4" deep have reached the gas service pipe running between meter and street. Is it not meant to be a lot deeper than that, and if so, whose responsibility will it be to make it deeper?

Sponsored Links
OK, HSE say 375mm, so, does anyone know if I can get Transco to dig up and re-pipe for free, or do I risk them telling me that the work must be done and I must pay for it (As is the case with Thames Water)?

I seem to remember reading about this. The depth of the pipe in a garden or private footpath is ok at 375mm, or 14.7", where-as a public footpath or road would need to be deeper because of the additional pressure on the surface....

I think Transco will stick to the old, "it's on your property, and you're responsible"..... They might also blame a contractor if the work was sub-contracted.....

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back