yellow spots

Well, I do occasionally put some wet washing in the airing cupboard if it's been raining and I can't get it dry. The airing cupboard is at the top of the stairs next to the bedroom more or less. Do you think this could be linked to the problem? :eek:

Sponsored Links
wet washing is a dreadful source of damp. Unless you ventilate, the water wil stay in your home

at this time of year you should have plenty of ventilation from open windows.

how is the mouldy room ventilated?

Well because it's a spare room I never really open the window and never do if it's cold. Should I be opening the window every day? :eek:

if you're getting mould, it's damp.

ventilation relieves dampness.

look for leaking roof or gutter as well, but wet washing is the most common cause, except in or close to bathrooms with inadequate use of extractor fans.

Bleach and cleaners will not cure dampness.

Look for condensation mould behind or inside wardrobes which are against an outside wall.

What sort of windows have you got?

Sponsored Links
We have had doubled glazed "sash" windows for about 5 years now. The bathroom is across a very small landing and it doesn't have a window - just a small extractor fan. You walk up the stairs with the airing cupboard at the top of the stairs. To the right are 2 bedrooms and to the left is another bedroom and the bathroom. Beyond the bathroom is an extension of 2 more bedrooms.
Downstairs are a few odd patches of damp on the walls in certain places but they are not spotty or coloured just damp - you can see it coming through the painted paper . The house was built in 1860. Recently I saw a piece of guttering that had come out and had it put back but this wasn't at the site of the yellow spotty mould unless there is a problem round that side of the house that I just can't see.

an 1860 house needs plenty of ventilation to keep it dry. There is probably moisture coming up from under the floor (water vapour rises) even if it has a cellar, as the subfloor will have no DPM and will be damp. I imagine you do not use the fireplaces any more (the chimneys all need to be ventilated top and bottom)

your double-glazed sash windows are presumably modern and draught free, so you need at least a trickle-vent or other ventilation in every room.

do the windows have trickle vents? what are the window-frames made of?

This is all very interesting - thank you. The windows are UPVC but in the style of Victorian sash.What is a trickle vent? :confused:
You are right actually before we had them fitted we didn't seem to have this problem and the old windows were very draughty. We use one fireplace in the winter but thats it ans our central heating system is not very efficient (that's another story!) :rolleyes:
We don't have a cellar but I have a feeling we live in very damp conditions. There is some water that goes under the houses round here as several of us have had wells in the garden (ours is filled in now). Those air bricks outside sometimes get filled up with leaves etc and I don't often remember to clear them out - how important are they?

very

there needs to be a throughflow of air under the floore, from one side of the house to the other

they can also be choked inside with cobwebs, dust, rubble.

a trickle vent is a small unobtrusive ventilation slot ion the windoweframe, usually at the top, usually with a plastic cover to keep insects out and sometimes with a closable cover which has to be left open for ventilation

well I can't thank you enough - this has been a real education. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back