yellow spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have noticed some yellowy spots at the top of a spare bedroom wall. They have spread to about 2 feet wide but don't seem to be spreading anymore. I am assuming they are mould or damp (gulp!) but really don't know. I also tried to cover up some with paint but no success. Can anyone tell me what they probably are and how I can get rid of them? Sorry - I always seem to have a problem! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello Myra :)
Yellow mould really isn't that common, whereas black spots are......see if using a bleach solution removes the marks (or vinegar is supposed to work too - presumably the colourless type!) Is the wall painted or papered?
Although there might not be any dampness in this wall, if the room is poorly ventilated or particularly cold at that spot then condensation will surely occur.
So, see if you can shift these marks and then see if they return.....you can get barrier paints that will cover stubborn marks such as nicotine if the patches won't cover.
Regards
John :)

Hi John, What would I do without you! I will give the bleach solution or vinegar a go. You don't sound too worried so that is very reassuring. It is lining paper that is painted and as you know it is an old house. Thanks for your help.

Hmmm there's every chance that this stuff has been around longer than you think....!
See if the stuff comes off yellow onto a cloth and keep an eye out for it to return seems like a good move just now.
Is the affected wall (or patch) an outside wall, and does there seem to be any reason for external dampness? I don't know if your house has a cavity wall or not...
If you think that the wall could be damp, you can get really cheap dampness detectors - two probes stick gently into the wall, and if there is dampness around the detector starts to make noise. Gentle clicks for next to nothing, through to a squeal if its wringing wet!
Be lucky!

Sponsored Links
Yellow mould devours wood, leather and other organic materials but does not harm metal or stone. Bright yellow, and powdery, it clings to walls, floors, and ceilings in patches, reproducing as it consumes organic matter.

Mix a solution of warm water and a bit of mild hand dish washing detergent in a spray bottle. You can also use a solution of 3 parts water and 1 part bleach.

Spray the area with cleaning solution and allow to stand for 10 to 15 minutes.

Scrub the area with a sponge to remove the mold.

Wipe the area clean with a wet rag and dry the surface thoroughly. Discard moldy rags and cleaning material

yellow spots can be damp, especially noticable if the wall was painted white. I have this at the top of my kitchen wall where a bathroom sink above overflowed and soluble dirt washed out of the wall or the ceiling. The stain stays after it has dried out. There is no mould because the wall was dry again in less than a day, and is dry now. Is there a bathroom above? Or leaky radiator pipes or roof?

However, if this is a room that suffers from condensation, it could be a fungal attack and you need to trace and rectify the cause. Do you get visible condensation on the wall or window? At this time of year you shouldn't. Bleach solution kills mould but does not cure damp.

Photos would help a lot.

Thanks for all the advice. It is an outside wall and I suppose there might be guttering problems but it is so difficult to see as you can't really get round that side to see. Here is a photo ( really embarrassing!)
Thanks again gentlemen.

[/img]

Brilliant! I'll print that off and get upstairs tomorrow with my bucket and spray. At least it's not dog vomit slime mould!!! ( I hope!)
That was really good of you to take the trouble to find that.
Many Thanks

Dog vomit slime mould?? :eek:
Myra, you must be having a bad day, and under the influence of our American colleagues :p
If you think your wall is damp, Drapers 52058 for around a tenner will tell you for sure, but personally I think its just more ventilation thats needed.
Regards

Thanks John - I feel reassured again especially if it's just a case of ventilation. You did make me laugh! I will investigate tomorrow and do all the suggested tests.

Good morning! I have tried the easiest suggested remedy first and sprayed a white vinegar solution over the yellow spots. Immediately the spots faded dramatically when I wiped it off. Magic! :D
You can still see them a little but you have to look hard and I think when it has dried I may be able to paint over them. So it was as easy as that! Hopefully it won't come back but if it does I will have to get to the source of the problem with the damp measure.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back