DAMP/BLACK MOULD IN UPSTAIRS CUPBOARDS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in a flat roof mid-terrace 1940's house. Have always had to be careful with damp upstairs but in particular inside my sliderobes on the ceiling and side walls are covered in black mould which is creating a 'damp' smell in the house. Despite periodically wiping with bleach I can't get rid of this mould. I also get black spots of mould appearing on all the upstairs ceilings (artex). I use a dehumidifier regularly but really need advice on how to get rid of the mould and how to treat the walls after that to prevent it coming back - do I need to replaster? Thanks

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome daisy38 :D :D :D

you need to find the source of the damp first

then dry it out

does your flat roof have ventilation do you suspect its leaking!!!

Thanks Big-All
To my knowledge the roof has no obvious leaks. In my neighbourhood the houses are all flat roof construction and damp is a problem for a lot of people. Inside the sliderobes seems to be the worst as I use that for storage and its rarely opened so maybe that's a breeding ground for the mould spores - had to throw out a load of books from there last week as there were ruined by the mould. Is there anything I can buy to 'paint' on the bad areas after I clean them up to seal the area?

your problem is not the presence of mould spores (these are everywhere) but the presence of damp conditions which allow them to grow.

damp patches, inside cupboards which are on an outside wall, are due to condensation, when the warm damp air from the room reaches the cooler surfaces inside the cupboard.

you can address this by reducing warmth and moisture inside the room (by ventilating it to the outdoors), or by reducing moisture inside the cupboard (by ventilating it to the outdoors)

have a look at //www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

Sponsored Links
Dehumidifiers only remove moisture, they don't encourage air movement that is required, only ventilation will do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back