Treating damp spots and black mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been experiencing black mould and dampness behind my some of my bedroom furniture. This has also resulted in blue mould appearing within my wardrobe and drawers. There is an air vent (previously an chimney opening) behind the wardrobe close to where the dampness is.

Looking for a little help and advice on whats causing it and more importantly how to best treat it.

Sponsored Links
It will be condensation, best way to treat the mold spores are to get some diluted bleach to it or use distilled white vinegar, this is less toxic that the first option.
I'd try to keep your furniture away from the walls and the room ventilated.
Do you know if you have insulation in the cavity, this will help stop the problem.

If the furntiture is sitting in front of a chimney brest then the chimney may not be capped correctly, it should be vented to keep it dry internally, the roof should be checked as the chimney may have damaged flashing or pointing allowing rain to penetrate and travel down to the bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back