Yes, another Mould behind the wardrobe question:-/

rcs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Wanted to run an idea past a few of you. I have a carcass type wardrobe against an external wall and have damp/mildew/mould issues as there is little airflow behind it. It's up to the ceiling and a good 3 mtrs wide.
My idea (having spent most of the day cleaning up behind it today) is to fill the void of approx 1" to the wall, with beanbag polystyrene beads and putting closure panels over the top and down the sides of the wardrobe to prevent warm moist air 'falling' down the cold junction and condensing at the bottom/back of the wardrobe panel.

Any thoughts?
Ta

Sponsored Links
I had the same trouble about two years ago and decided to cover both options, that is leave some ventilation but insulate the wall. I was going the sheet polystyrene route but then thought about the insulated foil you put behind radiators.
The one I used was a foam with a reflective coating, I fixed it to the wall with wallpaper paste, had forgotten all about it, just taken a peek behind the cupboard and it all looks fine! Worth ago I would say.
Just make sure you have treated the existing mould and completely removed it first.

good luck :)
footprints

Sponsored Links
Mould need food, water and a temperature above 40F to grow.
Mould lives on paper and wall paper paste, among other things.
No food and it dies.
Warming the wall by allowing warm air to circulate will deprive it of condensation/water.
Removing the source of water vapour will help.
Water vapour is capable of moving through most domestic items, like plaster, wood, paper, leather. It will find its way through the smallest hole to find a cold suitable surface to condense on.

Well I've still done nothing and the mouldy smell is back and now need to resolve before decorating.
Does anyone know if removing the backs of the wardrobes would be beneficial in the short term?
I'm considering hacking the existing plaster off the brick (solid wall) and dry lining with a thermal plasterboard and skimming and painting. Does anyone know if this thermal board prevents condensation when enclosed as before? I don't have any other options for the location of a wardrobe, other than free standing ones. The backs would have to be replaced as they're well and truly trashed. What fun.

The backs usually provide a large part of the strength of the wardrobe, may collapse, better to drill a small vent thru to outside assuming it's external wall.

Put simply, condensation doesn't form on a warm surface.
If you remove the plaster and stick sheets of polystyrene to the bricks with plasterboard adhesive, the problem will be solved.
The condensation should move to the next coldest surface, probably the window/window sill, which you can dry with a cloth.

If you remove the plaster and stick sheets of polystyrene to the bricks with plasterboard adhesive, the problem will be solved.
The condensation should move to the next coldest surface, probably the window/window sill, which you can dry with a cloth.
But of course you will be left with an ugly polystyrene wall.

But of course you will be left with an ugly polystyrene wall.

It will be behind the wardrobe!

Hi rcs,
I don't think removing the back will help much I've seen lots of built in cupboards that have no back that still suffer with condensation.

I would think the thermal plasterboard should do the trick, what might help also is if you can provide some sort of opening in the plinth of the wardrobe to allow air to circulate under and up the back. Thinking about it lots of old fashioned wardrobes had a decorative cut away at the bottom of the front panel which simulated legs at each side, perhaps it had a purpose other than just decoration.

The radiator insulation still seems to be working for me, it's quite clear behind there so long as you ignore the dust!

footprints

Well I think I'm going to replace the wardrobe backs, clean up and insulate the wall with radiator reflecting material. Will also get some wardrobe heaters for the void.
Does anyone know how much 25 Watts costs to run?
Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back