Damp Problem Behind Sliding Wardrobe Doors!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed a set of sliding wardrobe doors along the full length of my bedroom wall. The wall is an external wall. There's a gap above the doors to the ceiling of about 250mm which I am going to build a facia over (but not done as yet). Since installing these doors the external wall is getting quite damp and mould has started to form. There is an air brick in the wall behind the doors. I guess I have created a cold wall and moisture is condensing on it but I'm at a loss what to do. Will it be solved by building the fascia (preventing warm air enetring the cold space)? Anyone got any ideas, please?

Sponsored Links
As you say, the wardrobe space will be colder than the rest of the room because the doors prevent the heat getting to it. The outside wall will be cold. The warm humid air from the house that gets into the wardrobe will condense on the cold wall. The fascia will reduce airflow but not stop it completely.

You say you have an air brick in the wall; if this allows cool (dry) air from outside to ventilate the wardrobe it should prevent condensation.

Is there an airflow that moves air from the house through the wardrobe, but not cool air in? is the airbrick blocked?

p.s. thinking about the missing fascia, I have a feeling that there will be a circulation of warm moist air hitting this wall, sinking as it cools, and being replaced by more. So the fascia may make quite a difference.

If you have a handy electrical outlet you might think about mounting a Tube heater on the bottom of the wall, with a thermosat. These use little power and do not get very hot so are not a fire risk like most heaters would be.

Thanks JohnD.
The air brick is not blocked but it is high up on the wall so may not be too effective.
I will install the fascia and hope that helps but good shout on the tube heaters idea - I reckon I'll do that as well.
Cheers,
Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back