Black mould advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The elevations of our bedroom face north west and north. Each winter we have had black mould spots form on the walls and ceiling above, which have been removed in the summer by a bleach soluation. Also, our curtains smell of damp in the summer so need to be washed. We have had cavity wall insulation installed (not to prevent mould by the way) and I have made a point of having the windows open at least an hour each day, but the problem is reoccurring already. Has anyone any other ideas which may help?

Sponsored Links
do you drape wet washing about the house?

How far is this room from the bath or shower?

Do you use an extractor fan during and after baths and showers?

Does your window have a trickle vent?

Have you looked for dripping gutters, leaking roof or pipes?

Agree with JD , good ventilation is essential to prevent mold spores settling.

Many thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, we've looked into all your comments. Washing goes out all day and gets left in conservatory which is shut off from house this time of the year. The bathroom door is closed during showers/baths and gets left shut while window is then left open for 30 mins or so. As far as we can tell we don't have a leaking gutter/roof and we've even looking at the repointing. If anyone has any other advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
My guess would be that your walls and ceiling are getting too cold, and there is relatively little air movement in the room to dry out the condensation that forms.
What is the loft insulation like?
The area of ceiling along the outside wall is most prone, as you (should) have ventilation along the soffits outside the window. This will keep the air in the loft pretty cold. If you don't have good insulation right to the junction of wall and ceiling, you will continue to get condensation. You might have to get up there to have a close inspection.
You mustn't stop the air flow into the loft - so don't pile up the insulation against the roofing felt.
Whack up the heating if you like - it might cure the mould, but it's probably not the best solution.
Or stop breathing, but leave the heating on.

hey i was suffering the same thing.... i never thought of checking the loft insulation as it hasbeen really cold in my gaff as havent had central heating till recent....

THANKS GUYS..... KEEP UP THE GOOD ADVISE!!!!!

Seems you have poor ventilation, window open for 30mins is totally inadequate, you need mechanical ventilation to clear moisture unless window is left open while home is occupied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back