Black mould, damp and condensation - advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is a 1946 built ex council property that has had uPVC windows fitted and when we moved in afew years ago we had cavity wall insulation put in.

We suffer from damp, condensation and black mould growth quite badly, so wonder what is causing it?

In particular, in the window reveals where there would be a cavity behind the plasterwork, it is constantly wet this time of year. I thought that rain and damp was getting in from outside so resealed around the windows on the outside. It has made no difference though. The wet extends from top of the window to the internal cill, about 4" wide all the way down in upstairs windows and about 2" wide downstairs.

The black mould only appears on the upstairs ceilings, where the ceiling meets the outside wall. The upstairs ceilings are those odd shaped ones that curve downwards to the wall. Therfore the gap in the attic between tiles and ceiling plasterboard is only a few inches I'd say. I had considered putting insulation boards in the gap, but my neighbour did this and reported no difference. We use mould and mildew spray, but it returns in a couple of weeks.

The other day, we noticed that where we had a some clothes against an outside wall in the bedroom, when the clothes were moved the wall was freezing cold and wet to the touch. The clothes were also very damp.

To me it suggests that the cold air is transferring across the cavity and that the cavity insulation is not working or is in fact making it worse.

I was reading that ventilation is key to stopping mould growth, but even with windows left ajar, it doesn't help. I noticed that the wall vents on the outside skin of the house have been blocked with silicon by the cavity wall installers, is that the correct procedure?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Opening windows provides little ventilation unless left open 24/7 you need vents ideally to all room.Kitchen and bathroom fans.No washing drying internally.Omit any of these and you will have mold .
Damp round windows is frequently from condensation, again thru lack of ventilation.

The windows are pretty much open on the latch 24/7 upstairs.

Damp around the windows being caused by condensation is feasable, but how, if the actual window frame is dry?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back