Black mould - even though rooms are ventilated.

Sponsored Links
my suggestion is ventilate for 2 hours window open several inches when the heating is off during the day
then close the windows and let the fabric off the room warm up
to much ventilation will not help if the moisture is coming from the house
keep the room door shut
do this routine for 4 weeks and see what happens??

Will do.

Another point:
I'm planning on putting a wardobe in the corner of the bedroom, either free standing or built in, is that going to restrict air movement in the corner of that room? That corner is on outside walls which can get very cold in the winter, to the point where I've noticed it wet to the touch before now.

Currently there is a rack with clothes on it, which on two occasions have had grey mould on the clothes that touch these walls. Yuck!

As I see it, a freestanding wardrobe will allow this mould to grow out of sight and a built in one will just have the mould growing inside it. Bad idea either way.

I've never seen a wardrobe with a vent on it before, but is that what I'd have to do as well as make sure the clothes don't touch the wardrobe sides?

if the damp is coming from the wall you need airflow

i would not put anything against that wall until it has been mould and damp free for 3 months through the winter
even then if the wall needs airflow to remove moisture
if you reduce airflow below that level it may come back

what level is needed no one knows its really trial and error
but internal walls are better for fitted units as theres a far smaller chance off problems especially compared to a recently cured wall

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
What I may do in that case is redesign the room, putting any units on the internal walls. It will mean knocking out the unused chimney breast, as that currently reduces the overall usefull size of the room. The wardrobes were going to be placed either side of the chimney breast.

Every job creates another job to be done first doesn't it? :rolleyes:

it might be fine but the only way you find out its not may be a year after fitting :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back