Yellowing Grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gardeners,
I have a cosmetic problem with my lawns that I am sure some knowledgable gardener will have seen before and Know the solution.
My lawns are not bowling green turf but the normal turf purchased for domestic lawns similar to all of the turf suppliers.
The turf was laid 7 years ago and I tend them well, feeding with general fertiliser twice yearly after which the grass grows quickly and very green and attracts comments from neighbours as to how nice they look.
After about two months growth, I start to get individual blades of grass turning Yellow. Lack of nutrients I conclude, but the odd thing with this yellowing is that whilst cutting using a petrol rotary machine, I notices a Yellow Powder deposit all over the grass box, internally and externally. The Powder looks Identical in colour and consistency to Turmeric (the culinary spice). What ever can this be and what is its cause?

Sponsored Links
If your grass blades are covered in an orange powder, and the reddish-brown lesions underneath don't rub off, you've got rust. The fungi to blame are usually active during humid weather (70�-to-75� F). Grasses under stress from nitrogen deficiencies, moisture shortages or close mowing are most susceptible. Solution: Rust develops slowly, so in many cases frequent mowing, adequate water and an application of a high-nitrogen fertilizer can stop the problem. Frequent mowing can help control the problem too. However, if the disease is severe, I'd treat affected areas with a chlorothalonil fungicide.

Thanks Westwood187.
Have you any suggestions as to a branded Name for the treatment chlorothalonil fungicide . I will certainly try it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back