yesterday's DIYNOT

Our pet Terry has been sick all over the wifes bearskin how can i remove the stains?
And does anyone know where I can get cheap pet insurance?
Failing that anyone know a good recipe for cooking Terydactyl?

Got a name for my newest invention, you remember, the round thing, i've decided to call it "The Whale".

Sponsored Links
A chariot is standing on a very long dust track that can move. The Chariot moves in one direction, while the dust track moves in the opposite direction. This track has a water powered system that tracks the Chariots wheel speed and tunes the speed of the track to be exactly the same as the wheels, but in the opposite direction. There is no wind. The driver of the chariot "gee-ups" his horse...does the chariot and its rider move forward? ;)

tim west said:
Basically you take a load of dead snakes and put them into the cooking pot and boil them down till you get a sticky residue which you rub into the skin.

Unfortunately for your neighbour, that product has been on the market for some time. It's called Snake Oil. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

To luke_vibert_uk:

Given the substantial mass of the moving track and the inevitable sluggishness of its water powered drive, I suggest that the chariot WILL initially move forwards. What happens next will depend upon how clever the designer was. Has PID control been invented yet? :?: :?: :?:

In my experience, control systems with large moving masses are prone to instability. There is a fair chance that, unless the driver is very good, the chariot will be thrown backwards and forwards until it falls off the end of the track. :( :( :(

Space cat";p="880664 said:
tim west said:
Given the substantial mass of the moving track and the inevitable sluggishness of its water powered drive, I suggest that the chariot WILL initially move forwards. What happens next will depend upon how clever the designer was. Has PID control been invented yet? :?: :?: :?:

True :LOL:

but read the question again...it makes the assumption that as the wheels turn the speed of the track will be exactly the same :LOL:

Sponsored Links
So this is a thought experiment; ie one that you can't do and which won't work! :confused: :confused: :confused: In theory the chariot shouldn't move in either direction but I foresee a problem: if you really can control the track so as to get the chariot's speed exactly zero you won't know for sure exactly where the chariot is. :) :) :)

The internet was in black & white in those days of course.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Professor Pat Pending believes that he has identified four fundamental substances, which he has named "elements", from which everything is made: earth, air, fire and water. Like many great ideas it came to him out of the blue.

"I was watching a pot boil", says Pat "when I noticed water forming on the bottom of the pot. It just appeared as if by magic!"

Now it is well known that a tree needs earth and water to grow but, when you burn it, you get earth and fire out. The professor claims to have solved this apparent contradiction.

"My experiments show that a tree also needs air and sunlight to grow so what if the sun is made of fire?"

To really clinch the theory three questions must be answered: How does the fire get from the sun to the tree, how does the water get from the burning wood to the pot and where does the air go?

According to the professor, the missing air isn't really missing at all; we just don't see it. In support of this theory he has thrown dried leaves onto fires and noticed that some are carried upwards by an invisible wind. He hopes to prove that the sun is made of fire by prodding it with a very long pole but admits that he has absolutely no idea how the water gets to the bottom of the pot.

A fellow alchemist Max Plank has suggested that some things may be able to 'jump' from one place to another because, as he says, his stuff never seems to be where he left it but his twin brothers, the two short Planks, refute this idea and claim that "The silly old fool is completely out of his tree".

The professor's theory has, predictably, provoked outrage from certain quarters. The Noble Order of Wizards have denounced him as a loony (moon worshipper) and the High Priest of the Sun Temple has threatened to have him boiled in his own pot! But Professor Pending is unrepentant. "You can't suppress the truth forever." he said defiantly. "Some day they'll see that I was right!"

Quoted as is with quote mistakes:

tim west said:

True :LOL:

but read the question again...it makes the assumption that as the wheels turn the speed of the track will be exactly the same :LOL:
I didnt write that?? :LOL: it wasnt me guv honest!

Sponsored Links
Back