Yet another damp thread . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry. I have a couple of patches of damp in the kitchen. The first is very strange. It is at the bottom corner of a completely internal dividing wall.

20160701_104051.jpg

The other side is showing no signs of damp, but i suspect this is because it has been painted with a few layers of silk paint.

Where is this damp coming from? A couple of thoughts are 1. The damp course (injected) has failed, but can damp really get into an internal wall in this fashion? 2. The damp course is sound but water is leaking aove the wall and settling on the damp course. Less likely i think.

The other damp patch is on an external wall. It starts behind the washer and dishwasher and has extended out to the wall alongside.

20160701_104114.jpg

When i originally discovered this damp patch there was a fence post attached to the house outside. When i took that off, much of the mortar was missing behind it, so I repointed the whole corner and reattached the post. However this hasn't sorted the problem, in fact it is getting worse.

How long can you expect an injected damp course to last? Im not sure how old this one is, but most of the plastic caps have gone from the injection holes. Is it possible to have it redone? Would this need the plaster hacking off inside? And how much would this cost? The house has solid walls.

The reason I am anxious to sort it now is that the house is on the market and short of offering the surveyor sexual favours, he will spot the damp and the buyer will insist on a discount. I'd rather sort it out myself.

Sponsored Links
Injected DPC's not only fail but, in my opinion, are useless. The best remedy, to give a few years of damp free decorated surfaces, is to hack off and render in sand & lime plaster.

Is either floor in Damp no1. a solid floor?
Presumably the (kitchen?) in damp no2. is a solid floor?

Read back/search on similar posts to get a better idea of what you have to constructively think about.

In 1980, I moved into a Victorian house with a partially failed DPC, the wall paper was hanging of in the hall wall due to rising damp in an internal wall. I had a chemical DPC injected. The process was guaranteed for 25 years. When I moved in 2011, there was still no damp (31 years), so the process can work, but in truth there do seem to be a lot of cowboys doing it.
Have you got a leak behind the washing machine?
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back